Daysailer?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer?

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:08 pm

Hi, My 79 year old grandfather was given what we believe to be a daysailer, in very poor condition. He has taken her on as his winter project. My dilema is that we have no idea what year she is. I have the Hull # and the Class # but do not know where to look for a year. Anyone out there with any help to offer? He is also having trouble getting the cap off of where the centerboard is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

K. Josey (kdandr-at-hfx.eastlink.ca)

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:32 pm

What are the Hull# and Class#? That will help to detrmine year of manufacture, maybe not exact year, but at least a pretty close "ballpark" estimate.

The fact that you have a Hull# and Class# on the boat, (on a small metal plate) shows that the boat was built prior to the HIN requirement that started on November 1, 1973.

For reference, since the Hull# refers to total O'Day production at that time, my 1969 Widgeon was Hull# 22698. Class# would refer to Day Sailer production.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:23 am

Thanks for the fast response. Hull#321224 Class#3916 The rest of the plate says Whiskey Jack Limited and the address in Ontario. My grandfather has almost all the cracks fixed but cannot figure out how to get the top off (inside the boat) of where the centerboard is. The boat is in pretty bad shape but a good winter project.

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:35 pm

It it is a DS 2 the centerboard cap does not come off. It is part of the cockpit moulding. To remove the centerboard, he will have to go in through the inspection ports on the floor and undo the through pivot bolt that holds the board in, then undo the up and down controls (more difficult than it sounds) then drop the board out of the bottom or do the above process withthe boat careen on its side.

The Whiskey Jack Ltd with the Ontario address throws me though. The class # of 3916 would indicate a DS 1 built between 1970 and 1972 by O'Day.

Can you post a picture to the photo gallery or send a photo attachment by e-mail to the respondents in this thread?
Roger

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:45 am

Unfortunately I live quite a distance from my grandfather so it will take a week or 2 before I can get pictures. When I do I will post them. I just got off of the phone with him and read him your response. He seems to think that maybe this boat has had changes done to it. Re the cap.....on either side of it there is a board (maybe for bracing purposes)the brackets for these boards are up under the cap thus the reason he is trying to get it off. He is not trying to get at the centerboard. There is something he needs to do to these brackets to put the boards back in. Is Whiskey Jack still in business? It would be nice to find out exactly what boat he has so that maybe we can get proper diagrams and instructions as to how it goes back together. Thanks Krista

Return to Repair and Improvement