Leaky O'Day 23

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Leaky O'Day 23

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:32 pm

I recently was given an O'Day 23. Upon inspection, I noticed that there is a little amount of water that is seeping up through the screw holes where the centerboard crank is mounted in the cabin. This causes water to leak into the cabin and accumulate.
The centerboard has been permanently mounted down and is no longer movable after a recent haul-out.
Can this problem be solved easily?
Am I in for a stormy future?

Ryan (erm125-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:43 pm

It sounds like you'll have to get your O'day hauled out and inspected. I would venture to guess that some silcone around the centerboard might do the trick. Don't think you're in for a stormy future. Best of luck fellow sailor. :)

Salty Sailor (shereane-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:17 am

It sounds like a leak has developed around the pedestal for the table? This is where the centerboard crank is located on the 1971-75 O'Day 23, and so I assume this is where your leak is? I'd give Rudy at D&R Marine a call for advice, he was the Parts Dept. Manager at O'Day and has a lot of knowledge about the boats. (508) 644-3001 If this was my boat, I'd want to get the centerboard back to being able to retract, hauling the boat out for maintainence will be a lot easier when the board can be raised to reduce draft to 2' instead of 5' 5". Especially since you would want to have the weight of the boat supported by the keel not the cb, and having to block up the keel over 3' in the air is not easy. I'd want the CB to be able to retract if I ran aground also.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement