day sailer 2 bottom painting

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

day sailer 2 bottom painting

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:29 pm

I have always dry sailed my day sailer 2. I moved to another state and may now keep it on a moooring. As far as i know, the hull has never been painted. How would I apply bottom paint and what kind would I use? Do I have to paint the centerboard and the inside of the centerboard trunk? If so, what is the best way to do this - my boat is on a trailer and I don't have access to a hoist.

Thank you.

paul otterstedt (pjo25-at-columbia.edu)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:21 pm

Start by taking the boat of the trailer and turning it upside down. Hull prep is to clean with MEK, not the MEKP for fiberglass. After cleaning, tape off what you don't want to paint. Sand the surface with 220. Add several coats of epoxy barrier coat. Follow with the antifoulant paint. What type of paint you use depends on where the boat is going to be kept. Ask the folks around there what they use and how long it last. As for the centerboard trunk and board, they too will need to be painted if they are submerged, which part of the will be. If at all possible I would trailer sail it. The set up time on the boat is short. In most marinas they have facilities to keep a boat rigged and on the trailer ready for floating when you arrive.

Collin

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:02 pm

I almost forgot. Don't forget to sand between coats of expoxy, and between epoxy and bottom paint. Do not sand antifoulant paint. For a good source of info on this subject in easy to understand format, read Sailboat Refinishing by Don Casey (no relation).

Collin

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:41 pm

Putting bottom paint on is a pain in the rear but not all that complicated (assuming the boat will be in fresh water, anyway!). I've used a product called "Unepoxy". Instructions on how to apply it are on the can. Basically you first need to clean off "crud" on the bottom then clean it with a solvent (mentioned on the can) to desolve any old fiberglas mold release that remains there (supposedly it's still there even on an old boat). Next you have a choice...sand the bottom to roughen it up so the bottom paint will adhere, or apply a coat of bottom prep non-sanding primer. Then apply two coats of the Unepoxy. I do all this with the boat on the trailer. Supposedly you don't really need to coat the entire bottom...only the upper area where the sun can shine on and cause the "moss" to grow. I generally do most of the bottom anyway, since once you're under there it isn't that much more work to do it all. I've never done the centerboard or inside the centerboard trunk. Also, areas covered by the trailer bunks or rollars are probably not critical because they are far enough under the bottom that the sunshine won't get there. But there are ways to jack up one side or the other, or front or rear, of the boat while on the trailer to gain some access to these areas if you desire to.

steve parsons (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement