Hull caved in on port side

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull caved in on port side

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 07, 1998 12:00 am

I just bought a D/S II built in 1977 for a fantastic price and am very excited about sailing her in the spring. UNfortunately, I didn't notice a major flaw before I bought it and transported it 4 1/2 hours. The port side bottom appears to dish in where the boat sits on the trailer bunk. Although the bunk is only 4 1/2 feet long, the area is about 3' x 8'. and goes in about 1/2 inch. I'm in a quandary how to remedy it. I have taken the boat off the trailer and have it supported at the transom and bow. The dish area seems to have gone. I'm concerned that it is structurally unsound and when I put the boat in the water (I didn't before purchase), it will list to port and be a real bear to keep on course. I would appreciate any insights on where to go and what to do to deal with this. Should I wait and find out in the spring or should I begin now repairing it? Thanks. Pell

Pell (apell-at-epix.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 19, 1998 12:00 am

Pell,

When I looked under my 1980 DS II, I was a bit surprised to find the same kind of deflection over the left trailer bunk! I noticed the boat was not centered on the trailer and listing to port. When I straitened the boat the one-half inch ôdentö went away. The glass in this area is sound, so I figure that the hull is not internally supported over this flat section and the weight on the bunker distorts the hull. I would prefer that the hull was bonded to the hull liner (the DS II floor) in this area, but would not call it a ômajor defectö and do not believe it affects the safety or cruising performance. Some ôhard-coreö dingy racers are known to glass-in stringers or bench seats to remove the energy-robbing hull flexing and ôoil canningö, but this would be over-kill for a recreational boat.

I would be interested in otherÆs opinions and/or experiences with this.

John C

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 19, 1998 12:00 am

John, it's interesting that your boat has the same kind of deflection that mine has. I took my boat off the trailer and have it supported at the transom and bow in hopes that this would correct the indent. Unfortunately, it's still there. It doesn't occur on the starboard side. I have contacted West System folks who have been very helpful in the event I need to repair it. I'm hoping that lying dormant over the winter will help pop it back out. My latest idea is to use a couple scissors jacks somehow and jack it out along the the interior stringer and then epoxy some bulkhead posts between the floor and the hull. THe hull appears sound and reveals no cracks or checks.
I would be interested in others' experiences along these lines also. Thanks for the encouraging news. Pell By the way, my other boat is a Club 420 - very stiff.

Pell (apell-at-epix.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 1999 1:00 am

I posted a new message under class rules on this site before I saw your messages. My DS II is a 1978 and has the same problem on the starboard side. I do not have an answer without major modifications. The boat sitting on davit when I purchased the boat and the problem was not visible. My concern is that it may be possible to fix the boat and have it not meet class rules.

Dick Andrews (dandrews-at-ozarkaircraftsystems.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement