Rudder Pin Position

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rudder Pin Position

Postby psness » Mon May 17, 2004 8:19 am

Sorry for being long-winded. I recently bought a DSII and I think the rudder assembly is not the original. First, it has 1/2" pins. Second, it looks like the tiller laid and rubbed on top of the transon and there was a large gash in the lip if the transom for the top of the upper pin asssembly. Here's my dilema - I need to elevate the tiller slightly above the transom but the location of the pins on the metal rudder plate won't allow it. The distance between the upper pin and lower pin are such that the upper pin hits just below the transom lip and the lower pin hits just below the cockpit drain hole. So I either need to move/drill the pin assemblies on the metal rudder plate or move/drill a new hole for the tiller bolt on top of the metal rudder plate a little higher than the current one. Problem is there is only about an inch between the current tiller bolt hole and the top of the metal rudder plate. Will drilling a higher hole compromise the strength of the plate so close to the top edge? Also, the tiller will still rest on the transom. Is this normal?
psness

Postby Guest » Tue May 18, 2004 9:16 pm

I have an older DS1, with all wood original rudder stock, so don't exactly picture your problem. I would expect you could raise the hole to leave enough remaining metal equal to the thickness of the pin but this gains only about 1/2" or so. If all else fails, is there any chance you can extend rudder "post" up a little by bolting on, on one or both sides, a metal plate, up to where you want the tiller to connect, or having a short piece welded on at the top, if welding service is available to you ???.

John C. Jr. (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Roger » Tue May 18, 2004 11:36 pm

Perhaps I am missing your dilema here, but would it not be easier to reposition your pintles so that your rudder stock is higher? Refilling the old holes with epoxy putty and gelcoat would finish the job nicely. If you need, I have my boat in the driveway and can measure the original distances for you, along with a picture of the configuration.
Roger

Postby psness » Wed May 19, 2004 8:23 am

Thanks for your replies. The tiller and rudder are wood and the rudder assembly is two parallel pieces of heavy steel with metal pintal brackets and a spring "tongue" lock against the top pintal. It doesn't look like the drawing in the DSII manual. I don't think the distance between the pintals is as important as the depth of the rudder.

If I move the pintals (and lock spring) down on the steel rudder assembly, that will raise the rudder in the water. Moving the tiller bolt up will maintain the same rudder depth. I don't know if this is a big deal or not, and I don't know how much of the rudder is in the water now (assuming this whole assembly is not original it could be too deep or too shallow already). Could you perhaps measure and tell me how much of the rudder is below the water line?

I hadn't thought about attaching something to extend the rudder assembly higher. That might be the way to go.
psness

Return to Repair and Improvement