Flag halyard from spreader

Moderator: GreenLake

Flag halyard from spreader

Postby zeroready » Fri May 07, 2021 6:08 pm

I want to install a flag halyard. Attaching from the spreader seems like a good idea, but I was wondering what happens when you're sheeted out and the main is touching or almost touching the shroud. Does it completely obscure the flag? Do things get in the way of each other?
zeroready

Re: Flag halyard from spreader

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 07, 2021 7:41 pm

Anything you fly from that position can flap against the sail going upwind (in the right conditions).

If it's truly on a flag halyard, you can lower it, if conditions are like that. I recently tied a burgee there directly to the shroud and on some days, I'm not so happy with the sounds. Some day perhaps, I might reconsider and not fly anything, or I might decide I'll do it with a proper flag halyard.

Anything you fly there will be obscured for anyone not seeing your boat side-on from that side. For all-around visibility you'd have to fly a streamer from the mast top :)

You also won't have the space to fly things set in from the shroud, so the best solution might be if your flag halyard hoisted some rings that slide on the shroud. That way, your flag or burgee can't get itself stuck between flag halyard and shroud.

Now, what flag are you trying to fly up there? If you are trying to fly a flag showing your nationality, it would really go on a flag stock over your transom.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 pm

A jolly roger. It's, uh, for my kids...
zeroready

Postby tomodda » Fri May 07, 2021 8:35 pm

Agreed, National Flag or the Yachting Ensign (if you're fancy) should fly on a pole at the transom. The shroud position that you suggest is the perfect place for a cocktail pennant, preferably gin martini. If you can't see it while mixing your drinks, then tack immediately!

All kidding aside, it's a good place for all sorts of fun flags, I believe you're sailing with a youngster? Pirate flags are great fun, I saw one with octopus arms and "Unleash the Kraken!" writ on it. Considering where you're based, maybe a Conch Republic flag? And don't forget, you can also fly a flag off the topping lift!
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 07, 2021 11:12 pm

If you store your boat with the mast down, you can do what I do, which is tie the flag to the shroud below the spreader before raising the mast.

Flag halyard comes into its own when you need to take down the flag w/ the mast still up. Definitely the pirate flags . . .

However, don't forget to deck out your boat:

Kids will love it.

(PS: that very crowded excursion took place in very shallow waters, practically in wading distance from shore; generally the cannons work best when winds are light - for one, they make hiking a little difficult :) ).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Sat May 08, 2021 10:17 am

tomodda wrote:And don't forget, you can also fly a flag off the topping lift!

The topping lift was my first choice. But I had a couple concerns. the angle of the line from the back of the boom to the top of the mast doesn't seem like it would let flag fly correctly. Also I don't want to just attach the flag directly to to the topping lift itself, rather run a halyard along the topping lift, maybe wit a block lashed to it. But then that seems like it would be really unwieldy and prone to getting tangled.
zeroready

Postby tomodda » Sat May 08, 2021 11:22 am

I take it that the actual act of "running up the Jolly Roger" is part of the fun with the kids? Then definitely stick with the spreaders, put a bullet block at the tip. As always, I really like racelite hardware:

http://www.racelitehardware.com/rl-203-dinghy-block

Their flat-rate shipping is painful for one item, but they also sell thru Amazon Prime, if you have that. Otherwise, any bullet block will do, even one for clotheslines.

You should really go full GreenLake pirate boat, maybe even add a plank!
tomodda

Postby zeroready » Sat May 08, 2021 11:32 am

A plank isn't a bad idea, the crew can be a bit mutinous at times.

I will do some experiments with a block from the spreader. I ordered a shroud cleat yesterday and I already have a couple little blocks laying around. Thanks for the help!
zeroready

Return to Rigging