Mainsheet Upgrade?

Moderator: GreenLake

Mainsheet Upgrade?

Postby JoeCapeCod » Wed May 11, 2022 2:09 pm

I am curious to know what choices of blocks members have made to upgrade the mainsheet to 4:1 with a two-part block with a cam cleat mounted on the center board and a single block with a fiddle on the boom. I have recently purchased an 84 Daysailer II that is rigged with original factory setup, which seems decidedly underwhelming for the kind of sailing I will do-- mostly single-handed, often main alone, on the blustery Buzzards Bay off Cape Cod. My boat has a very small stand up block with cam mounted on the center board with a 4-screw mounting plate and a small block on a bail on the boom. I am planning on removing the plate-mounted block and replacing it with a sturdy eye strap to accommodate a new setup. Ideally I'd prefer a ratchet in the center board block because of my single-handed plans, and I've been looking for what might work online in all the usual places: D&R, West, Defender, etc. Most of what I seem have the cam cleat set upside down so that cleating would be with an upward motion, which seems a little awkward for keeping the mainsheet in hand and uncleated so that adjustments in the puffs can be made easily, but maybe others have found this a good way to go. Although I don't see myself racing (been there done that years ago) I think some experienced racers might have some good ideas for a rig that works well and I am posting my question here, so as not exclude the experience of Daysailer I sailors. I recognize that many of the Daysailer I sailors will have line travelers mounted on the stern, which I don't intend to install, but I am still hoping to get some of their wisdom. Thanks in advance for any ideas or relevant experience you may be able to offer.
JoeCapeCod

Re: Mainsheet Upgrade?

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 11, 2022 3:03 pm

Pulling up to cleat is a big NO. I think it's dangerous. Anytime something can cleat on it's own is a safety hazard in a small boat, especially in conditions (like cold water) where capsizing is more than an inconvenience. (And, before you ask, I've sailed with both on different DS's)

YES to the ratchet block.

I've been fine using that "undersized" standup block with cleat, mine even has the original Tufnol. Others here have found other types of blocks. Those required an adapter plate. (The CB trunk has a bit of bronze in it that's a pre-drilled backing plate - you may need to repeat the original hole pattern in an adapter plate which than becomes a surface mounted backing plate).

But then I run a traveler at the back, which gives me an effective 5:1 purchase with just 4 single blocks. That extra 20% makes up for any increased friction from using that original block. (That ratio works out because the 2:1 at the end of the boom is like a 4:1 in the middle because of the extra lever arm).

It's tough to advise on specific hardware, because so much has changed recently in availability and sourcing.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JoeCapeCod » Wed May 11, 2022 5:31 pm

Thanks! Glad to hear you share my hesitation about cleating up. I may call Harken to see if the bail can be reversed...I asked at a West Marine and they didn't think so. Your comment about the backing plate is useful...am contemplating using a Dremel to cut the block off and use the existing plate eye strap...sure wish the stock arrangement used a shackle that could easily removed. I sold my Bristol 27.7 after 20+ years of wonderful cruising and thought the Daysailer would provide great simplicity and no tough to solve issues.... hah think again!
JoeCapeCod

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 12, 2022 1:55 pm

Well, to be fair, everything is smaller and lighter, so some solutions become simpler. As in, no winches.

However, the real "simple" sail controls, or should I say "simplistic", really show their limits. As an example: I jury rigged barber inhauls while on a daysail. Just got frustrated not to be able to sheet the jib properly.

If you understand how to use a sail control and know what a properly trimmed sail looks like, you'll be dissatisfied if you can't put it on your DS. Just the way it goes. That said, these boats are great platforms for that kind of thing.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging