Cheap bamboo whisker or spinnaker pole

Moderator: GreenLake

Cheap bamboo whisker or spinnaker pole

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:31 pm

A number of years ago I made a spinnaker pole from bamboo. It's been holding up nicely, here it is in action during an excursion this summer.

Pole-2022_1024.jpg
Bamboo spinnaker pole
Pole-2022_1024.jpg (112.72 KiB) Viewed 2611 times

Here is the description of how I put it together.

I did that originally as a quickie because when I got a hand-me-down spinnaker, I wasn't sure whether I would like to make it a permanent addition. That was years ago, the pole is still in regular use (as is the spinnaker). I found the pole good & strong to the limit to which I am prepared to fly my spinnaker.

I found it cheaper and about just as strong and durable as one made from aluminum -- but lighter.

A whisker pole could be built along the same lines.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Cheap bamboo whisker or spinnaker pole

Postby baggywrinkle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:24 pm

I like it ! I had a bamboo whisker pole on my 23' Wharram catamaran. And a bamboo boat hook.

In Hawaii bamboo spars are typical as bamboo is free for the cutting. Not to mention endless 'temporary' homes etc made of bamboo. In asia, they grow it in square forms so it is more useful in construction. Scaffolding uprights are (or were) bamboo, in high rise construction. "The Book of BAMBOO" told me so.
baggywrinkle

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:14 pm

With "free" bamboo, the method might change to where you spend a bit less on protecting the bamboo from cracking, etc, and instead replace it regularly. I'm glad I didn't plan on the latter, not because of the expense, but because it's a bit hit or miss whether any one place here will have something suitable.

I've not seen square bamboo, but I have seen enormous scaffolds erected from bamboo on visits to Asia. Impressive sight, that.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rkennedy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm

Anyone ever use the spinnaker pole kit from west marine?
https://www.westmarine.com/forespar-sma ... 29672.html
rkennedy

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:08 pm

Forespar produces two lengths of these, if the model number on the West Marine site is correct, they sell the 84" version. That's a bit longer than you need, so you'll have to cut down the pole to measure.

I'm sure this is quite functional; but several times more than I paid for my setup.

One small difference. They use a bridle setup to attach up/downhaul. Technically, that's the correct thing to do, because that way you don't put any bending load on the pole. I usually don't fly my spinnaker at the top of it's wind range, and have not seen any bending with my setup that would concern me. But it's a simple change, if I ever thought it necessary.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rkennedy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:25 pm

Thanks Greenlake.

So is your pole the bamboo pole or did you find some pole to use.

I
rkennedy

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:24 pm

The one you see pictured is the one I built and have used for multiple seasons.

I bought it for $5 locally, from a store in my neighborhood. Not sure what they specialized in, as they have since closed or relocated. I cut a strip of glass cloth (you could also use ready made tape) and wrapped it in a spiral pattern and coated with a bit of laminating epoxy and then PU varnish to cut the UV. That increased the effective cost a bit, slightly more than doubling it, I think.

It's still cheap compared to aluminum and the coating protects it from weathering and prevents cracking or splitting. It feels lighter than an aluminum pole and has held up well for me.

The trick is to find a bit of bamboo that has the correct diameter and is close to perfectly round as you can get. Minor unevenness can be overcome with a bit of epoxy paste when you bed the end fittings, of course, but it's best to start with a good fit.

Occasionally, someone will spot it and give a double take, but that's part of the fun.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging