Rigging Question

Moderator: GreenLake

Rigging Question

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:50 pm

Recently acquired a standard equipped 93 S/L Daysailor 1. While cleaning out the cuddy I found the following apparatus: 3 3/4" diameter X 3/8 cast lead "ring" that has 4- 1/8" steel wires attached with thimbles (to reduce chaffing) and to allow the wires to move freely. The wires alternate in length first 63" the second 96" and then 63" and 96" for the last. All four wires have 2" stainless steel snap hooks on the end and the 96" wires have a 7" piece of 5/8" plastic hose (again to reduce chaffing on something). This, if you can follow my description, is all one piece. Also in a previous post I asked what a "tiller lock box" was and where is it located?

Dennis (dukelabatt-at-cs.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:43 am

Sounds like you have a lifting harness to be used on a hoist. Basically, the short lengths get attached somewhere along your chainstays, with the back connected to "eyes" somewhere near the transom. The large ring then gets placed on the lifting hook of the hoist and away you go.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Don

Don Trop (don.trop-at-comcast.net)

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:01 pm

Yep, sounds like a lifting harness--a good one, too.

A tiller lock box is used for securing your tiller in a sailing position, keeping the boat from rounding up. If I chose to use these, I'd place them prt/strbrd in the tank above the seat at a 90 degree angle from the end of the tiller. The knob at the end of the tiller extension restes in the fitting when you have other things to do then steer the boat. For a view of one, see:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... storeNum=2

Personally, I'm having a lot of success using a bungie stretched acroos the cockpit and attached at mid point on the tiller when needed.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:30 pm

You O'Day boys are prompt and accurate!!!! I located the area around the boat that the hooks fit. Hoist apparatus it is. Thanks for the info on the tiller location.

Dennis (dukelabatt-at-cs.com)

Return to Rigging