Vang

Moderator: GreenLake

Vang

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:22 am

I'm looking for a recommendation for a "good" boom vang. I've used the basic vang with the V cleat, but I want something that is easier for my crew to manage.
Harken makes some interesting vangs, but I'm not sure which one works best with a Daysailer.

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:05 pm

Hi Roger,
Instead of the in-line V-cleat, you might try the arrangement I have which enables easy, effective control in heavy air.

Above deck, the vang is the traditional 4:1 , but the tail then goes through the cuddy to a series of blocks resulting in a 15:1 purchase. The line passes back up through a through-deck block and cleat at the cuddy edge. Others I've seen cleat on a hoizontal bar under the cuddy, and also on the CB trunk lid. One thing I've discovered with this, though, is that the line should be small enough diameter for things to run smoothly.

Alternatively, and I swear I'm not a rep., West Marine sells a "Dinghy Vang" with lots of reduction which looks like it might do well on a DS.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ctId=62137

Cheers
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:56 am

Thanks Peter

I contacted Harkin and they came up with a fairly straight forward approach. A side by side 40mm carbo ratchet on the boom and a 40mm carbo ratchet at the other end. I've ordered it and let you know how it works out.

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Return to Rigging