replacing sheets

Moderator: GreenLake

replacing sheets

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:39 pm

I'd like to replace the sheets for both jib and spinnaker. Also I'd like to set up a continuous sheeting system for both (no tails). Has anyone adopted this system, and if so, what length of line is used?

I'm currently using what seems to be old jib sheet material for my chute, obviously too heavy. In addition to length, what type and diameter of line is recommended for jib and spin sheets?
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:00 pm

Look on this site under Information and Rigging Measurements. The lengths of all the lines and the recommended sizes are there.

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:38 pm

Thanks Roger. I knew about the Rigging Measurements page; just wanted to find out if anyone is using something different that they like better. There are several new compositions of rope out there now. Some materials wick water and are light and mighty strong. They seem ideal for small boat racing.

Any word on the continuous sheeting method?
Peter McMinn

Postby Roger » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:10 pm

I am using a single line of 26 feet (x3/8") of jib sheet, knoted in the middle of the line at the jib clew. I am not sure what you mean by continuous. Mine run back to the jib lead blocks inside the combing then through the fairleads onto the cam cleats, behind which each line is knotted with a stopper knot.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:06 am

I haven't used the continuous line idea for jib sheets, but may try it. Sounds good for small boats where no winches are involved. Next time out, I may just tie the two loose ends of the sheets in the cockpit together, and see what happens, and go on from there. It may save time in chasing around for the new leward sheet when you tack?

John Jr. (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:03 pm

Exactly. I sail with a variety of crew with a variety of skills. Not everyone remembers to hold on to the jib sheet, which makes for an interesting exercize in weight compensation as s/he dives to the lee just before tacking. If the sheet is already available on from the windward side, this situation disapears.

Further, for more advanced crew, continuous sheeting on the spinnaker allows for smoother jibes because the sheet can't become confused with the guy, and it's more difficult for the sheet tail to wrap around the swivel cleats, which has been a frustration.

I'm adding a couple of feet to the total length of the new sheets to allow for cockpit space.
Peter McMinn

Line Lengths

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:50 am

There's an article here that has a listing of line lengths.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Rigging