Spinnaker

Moderator: GreenLake

Spinnaker

Postby Chris Brown » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:43 am

I would like to rig a "turtle" or "sock" for the spinnaker to help in launching/dousing.

I considered adding a hatch or port in the front deck but that is not legal in the one-design class.

Can anyone send me in the right direction? A photo of a properly rigged "turtle" would be very beneficial.
Chris Brown

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 pm

Hi Chris:
I had the same question a while back. That dicussion, along with a good decription by Bob Hunkins, is here:

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =spinnaker

Although I backed off the idea of the sock, I'm still intersted. Would love to see some photos of the sock in action.
Peter McMinn

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:15 pm

I use a turtle. In its past life it was a sleeping bag stuff sack, but because of its size, it was just what I needed for a spinnaker turtle. I added a webbing strap sewed to the bottom of the bag. It is about 18 to 24 inches long, and has a clip at either end. I stuff the chute into the bag, center middle first, making sure there are no twists in the clew tack and head, as they are drawn towards the mouth of the bag by my stuffing efforts. I then lay the port and starborad tack/clew into the bag, flat, followed by the head, flat, then each of the lines carefully sorted so that they do not tangle, leaving each clearly labled end accessible through the mouth of the bag. I then close the mouth of the bag with the appropriate ends still out. I clip the bottom of the bag at the stem head, then attach the halyard, and spin sheets to their appropriat cleats back in the cockpit, pulling them gently out of the bag. If the whisker pole will not tug out the chute from the bag, you can rig it as well, otherwise you have to wait until you are ready to hoist. When ready, clip on the whisker pole if you have not already done so, then hoist the halyard, then the topping lift... (by this time the chute is starting to fill), then adjust the guy and sheet. If your timing is right you get a really nice sounding phump as the chute fills and starts pulling.

Taking down is generally less picturesque, and stuffing the chute (without twists) back in the bag is not as easilly done while under sail.
Roger

Spinnaker turtle

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:45 am

One widely used kind of spinnaker turtle for the Day Sailer is a plain plastic laundry basket. They're cheap, big enough and stow under the cuddy nicely.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Rigging