DS II Mast

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Mast

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 10, 1999 12:00 am

I have just bought a Daysailer II with a mast hinge. A chain plate let go on the prior owner which resulted in the lower part of the hinge pulling out of the mast. The prior owner repaired this by cutting down the lower (short) end of the mast and re installing the bottom half of the hinge. I have not had the opportunity to rig the boat yet (need to buy new standing rigging and spreaders) but am trying to determine if the mast is now shorter and whether stock standing rigging for the DS will fit. There is a wood block under the mast step that may have been installed to make up for the shortened mast. My questions are: 1) Do other Daysailer II's have a wood block under the mast step (on top of the fiberglass cuddy floor)? and 2) what is the correct mast height and measured from where to where. Thanks.

Chris Carney (chriscarney-at-mediaone.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 11, 1999 12:00 am

Hi Chris,

My mast is down, so I measured it for you. From the bottom of the hinge to the top of the haylard pulley is 22' 1.5". If one deducts the pulley, the mast length is 22".

Paul

Paul Diglio (paul.diglio-at-erols.com)

Hi Chris,

The section of my mast under the cuddy is 24 3/4" from plate to plate. I don't have a wooden block under it. I can't figure how that part of the mast might have gotten broken. Maybe the screws pulled out of the bottom mount where the mast screws into the deck and the owner used wood to locate new holes? Just a guess. I find half the fun of buying an old boat is bringing it back to original specs!

Godd Luck,

Paul

Chris,
I have a '75 DSII and there isn't a wood block under the bottom half of the stepped mast. If the hinge plate on the main or top half of the mast pulled out then the previous owner probably did make a 'riser'. How tall is the wood block? If nothing else is wrong with your rig then you may only need to replace the lower part of the mast (longer) and obtain a new base plate to mount it to the floor of the cuddy cabin. This would be less expensive than a new rig. I don't see any reason this wouldn't work unless it violates racing spec's.

Good Luck,
Jim

Jim Brown (rasp-at-fusenet.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 12, 1999 12:00 am

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I didn't read your message carefully explaining how the mast was broken. I had just spent 9 hrs recovering windows 95 and my eyes were crossed!! Cape Cop Shipbuilding has new mast supports for sale. Their number is 508 295-3550. The part number is M-20. It is called a Mast Support, Under Cuddy and the price is $ 33.00

Paul

Return to Rigging