Daysailer One jib sheet routing

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer One jib sheet routing

Postby maxxjedi » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:09 pm

Greetings all!

I purchased an '83 Daysailer One for myself for Christmas. It was sitting behind a business we buy our PVC pipe from. I had been thinking more and more about buying a boat, what pushed me over the edge was, amusingly, a video game. The game was called Sea Dogs, it's about the Tall Ship era of the Carribeann. It was so fun I thought I would have to learn to sail for real.
Anyway, I remembered seeing this lonely sailboat, and finally managed to contact the owner. He agreed with me that it needed a new home, and I took it home on its trailer for $100. I've put about $150 into the trailer and maybe $100 into the boat so far, and had it out three times so far. This brings my total sailing experience to three times out. :) Thank goodness for the Coast Guard's sailing manual!

Back to topic. The manual on this website was most helpful for every question I had except one, which is, exactly how are the jib sheets routed? I have the two swiveling eye with clamps on the cabin top, and no hardware is missing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
maxxjedi

assuming the easiest route...

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:44 pm

Each of the two jib sheets, which is actually only one line attached in the line's middle to the back corner (clew) of the jib with a simple knot, run back along to the upright spring block to the cleat then a figure of eight knot, so that it will not slip out of the cleat while sailing. One line runs each side of the mast. If the spring blocks (pulleys) are further back than the mast, route each jib sheet around the outside of the shrouds or sidestays. This will stop the lines from chafeing on the sidestays. When sailing, only the downwind (leeward) jib sheet is cleated. The other is referred to as the lazy sheet, is left uncleated and loose.
Roger

Postby Phill » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:16 pm

If you route the jib sheet out side of the shrouds (sidestay), your upwind performance will be dismal. You should route the jib sheet between the mast and the sidestay. In fact most of us use barber "in" haulers to get the jib sheet even more inboard when we use turning blocks on the coaming or deck. If your jib blocks (swiveling eyes) are on the cuddy top, they may already be in board enough. For a happy average, the sheet lead should cross the rear edge of the cuddy about 18 - 20" from center.

perhaps the picture of my jib set up will help.

phill :roll:
Phill

Return to Rigging