double (!) jib sheets

Moderator: GreenLake

double (!) jib sheets

Postby davehamblen » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:52 pm

We recently acquired another daysailer 1 (no. 978)
and the jibsheets have me puzzled. At the clew of the jib
there are 2 swivel blocks, side by side. There are 2 sheets
reeved, one through each block. I can't figure how this works.
Any thoughts from out there?
Dave
davehamblen

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:31 pm

Intriguing. Can you send a picture?
Peter McMinn

double jib tracks as well

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 pm

Assuming one set is for an inner (upwind track) and the other is for an outer (broad reach) track, there should also be a corresponding set of two tracks on deck, one set close to the mast, say around 9-12 degrees off center, and the other further outboard, say at about 18 degrees off centre. That would be my best guess. Having two sets of jib sheets rigged, all you have to do is select which set to use, rather that rerigging, which would be the only other option with a two track set up.
Roger

Postby swiftsail » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:54 am

The idea of that jib setup is to allow 2 to 1 purchase on the the jib. One end of each jib sheet is dead ended near the jib turning block on each side. The other end of each sheet is lead through a block on the jib and then to the turning block on each side and to the cleat. Thus allowing 2 to 1 purchase on the jib.
swiftsail

cleating

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:15 pm

2/1 jib sheeting. I like it.

Rob, can you be more precise about the location of the blocks? Also, where are the jib cleats located?
Peter McMinn

swiftsail

Postby Roger » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:04 pm

That would make sense, Swiftsail. I missed the clue about the dowble swivel blocks!
Roger

Postby davehamblen » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:01 pm

swiftsail wrote:The idea of that jib setup is to allow 2 to 1 purchase on the the jib. One end of each jib sheet is dead ended near the jib turning block on each side. The other end of each sheet is lead through a block on the jib and then to the turning block on each side and to the cleat. Thus allowing 2 to 1 purchase on the jib.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head! There are 2 pad-eyes on the deck
6" forward of the side stay chainplates. The sheets have a stopper knot at one end. There are two clam cleats on the cuddy roof. I can imagine reeving a sheet through the pad-eye, through a block at the clew, to the turning block, and through the fairlead hole in the coaming. Use as is for reaching or running, and for beating, pull the sheet into the clam cleat.
Presto! Many thanks!
davehamblen

Return to Rigging