Stepping the Mast

Moderator: GreenLake

Stepping the Mast

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 02, 1997 12:00 am

In stepping my Day Sailer II's mast this past summer, I always needed two people: me on the boat pushing the mast upward and my wife pulling on a rope attached to the forestay. Once it's up, I put the pin in at the base of the mast and my wife attaches the forestay to the bow.

There are times when I want to sail and my wife does not. Anyone out there step the mast by yourself? What technique do you use?

Mike Boone (BooneDocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 1997 12:00 am

Mike:
I have been using a 3/8" line between the two mooring cleats on the bow. While the mast is still in the horizontal position I attach a 1/4" line to the forestay and run the line forward to the line between the two cleats. I pass the line forward of the line between the cleats and then underneath it and back to the top of the cuddy cabin. I then pass the line through a clam cleat, ready to pull when the mast is raised. I then walk the mast into position and while holding it with one hand, I pull on the 1/4" line to take the slack out and this secures the mast in the vertical position. I then proceed to install the mast pin, and then go forward and secure the forestay. If my jib halyard was longer, I would use it by attaching it to the bow fitting, where the jib foot normally attaches. After walking the mast into position and holding it with one hand, take the slack out of the jib halyard and cleat it. Then proceed with securing the mast and forestay.

This proceedure works for me, maybe for you too. If I have confused you, I might be able to draw a picture, but don't know how to send a picture, other than US Mail or a print file. Unless of course, you have DesignCAD software, then I could send the file.

Let me know,

Barry

Barry Wright (wrightbr-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 03, 1997 12:00 am

Though I'm not clear on the design differences, stepping the mast on my 1970 DS1 is fairly straight forward, all while still trailered. Leaving the top of the mast in the cradle I stand on deck and slide the mast forward until my hands are at the balance point(equal weight on both sides). Bringing the end of the mast over the port side, I stand it upright and rest the base on the ground, reposition my hands for better control, lift straight up and walk it into position. Hope this offers some help.

John O'Hara (blhawk-at-dreamscape.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 1997 1:00 am

In the discussion of stepping the mast, no one has indicated if their mast is the hinged type that I have, or single piece mast that extends all the way to the bottom of the boat. I have seen Day sailors of each type. My mast has a hinge just above the "cabin" where two sections of the mast are joined by two pins. Is this what the other contributors are talking about?

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 1997 1:00 am

The mast on my DS II is hinged just atop the cuddy cabin. Boy, a non-hinged one would be a real hassle!

Mike Boone (BooneDocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 1997 1:00 am

Sorry I forgot about earlier boats that stepped the mast on the keel (Backbone of the Ship). My scenario was with a mast that is stepped on top of the cuddy cabin (Hinged Step). While the mast is in the horizontal position with the sail grove down, and the top of the mast extending about 10' past the stern of the boat, insert the after (rear) pin thru the rear holes in the fitting on top of the cuddy cabin and the thru the rear holes in the fitting in the bottom of the mast, creating a hinge between the two. It helps to use a boom crutch to support the mast near the transom. Attach the shrouds (side stays) to the chain plates.

Make sure that the forward (front) pin for the fitting on top of the cuddy cabin is out of the fitting and ready to be inserted when the mast is placed in the vertical position.

Now attach a Shackel to the bow fitting, where the foot of the jib normally attaches. Run a 1/4" line thru the shackel and attach to the forestay near it's end or to the end if necessary. Run the other end of the line back to the top of the cuddy cabin near the mast step.

Check that all halyards are secured to the mast and they along with the shrouds and forestay are free and not likely to catch on something when the mast is raised.

Go back in the cockpit to being just forward of the spreaders and inside of the shrouds. Lift the mast straight up, with both hands, until it is rests on your shoulder, being careful to keep the mast in line with the boat centerline. Next lift the mast with both hands and then walk forward, pushing the mast up, until you are at the back edge of the cuddy cabin and the mast is in it's vertical position. Now take hold of the 1/4" line and pull the slack out of it and the forestay (snug not drum tight). Secure the line to a cleat on the mast or cuddy cabin.
Now insert the pin into the mast step/mast junction on top of the cuddy cabin and secure it with a cotter ring. Move forward and secure the forestay in it's normal position. Remove the 1/4" line and stow it for later use when unstepping the mast.

Barry Wright (wrightbr-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 11, 1997 1:00 am

I use the main halyard and step the mast on the hinged baseplate after attaching the sidestays. Step the mast and route the rope part of the main halyard through one of the bow cleats and hold tension while cleating. Attach the forestay shackle and it's done.

Taylor Scott (rtscott-at-ccm.tdsnet.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 13, 1998 1:00 am

I have a deck-mounted mast. There are two pins protruding from the bottom that drop into an L-shaped slot, down, then forward. Once the stays are attached the mast can't slip upward out of the L shape. What is the 'mast pin' that you guys are talking about inserting? Am I missing something, or is my rig just different?

Eric Bryant (erix-at-cybertours.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sat Feb 14, 1998 1:00 am

Eric, you just have a different rig, mine is like yours. We don't have a pin to secure, the mas just rests in the step withthe L-slots.

BTW, I use the method that Barry outlined above and it's a good way to do it.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 29, 1998 12:00 am

I had a braket made that I attached to the deck of my O'day daysailer II. I cut the mast off and attached the lower portion of the mast to the bottom of the bracket to maintain weight transfer to the bottom of the boat and not onto the deck. I then drilled a hole through the bottom of the top portion of the mast and place a bolt through it and the bracket. I can now pivot the mast into place while the shrouds stay attached. I use a rope to hold the mast in place until I am able to secure the forestay. It was rather stressful cutting the mast, but it has been well worth it. I am now able to raise and lower the mast in any wind with no problems. with this system I had to make a wooden bracket to hold mast in horizontal position while bolting it in place. This prevents stress from being placed on bracket or mast during raising it. I had a local welding service build the bracket from simple plans I drew. If you need more information feel free to contact me.

George (george_rusho-at-nashintl.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 17, 2001 11:33 am

! have read your idea on the mast hinge and would like to copy the idea, I would need a detailed instruction or plan as I will have to show this to the man that will o the job for me, is this possible?
Much appreciated.
Sincerely Poul Thrane.

Poul Thrane (thrane-at-reach.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2001 12:45 am

Poul;
See the Tanzar 22 link below for a hinge idea.
http://www.magma.ca/~tanzer22/fig2d.jpg
Also skim around these threads a bit there are some good ideas and sketches as I recall.
Best regards.
MAKurtis
O'-whata-Day
Salamanca, NY

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Return to Rigging