Sail slides

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail slides

Postby dsheer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:31 pm

Used to have sail slides on my main on my old boat. Bolt ropes are a drag, relative to using slides.

Anybody use sail slides on the main? Luff or foot or both? How does the width of the slides compute in the class measurement details, if at all. Any other advantages of disadvantages?

Thanks,

Dan
dsheer

Postby calden » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:07 am

Dan:

I didn't see your post here until today. I just recently asked about sails slugs over in the repair and improvements forum.

I'm taking my sail and a cross section of the mast over to a local sailmaker and asking for advice on which kind of slugs and which size would work best. I would think that a 1/2" width would be fine, but he might recommend a skinnier size for ease of sliding.

I'll let you know what he is suggesting.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Slides

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 pm

I just replaced all the sail slugs on my Mariner main sail. The old ones shattered after 18 years of sailing. I used 5/16 inch nylon slides I ordered from Sailrite. I know I have the same size mast track as the Day Sailer

Eve though slides are easier to use than a bolt rope if you keep the sail on the mast and boom, I prefer a bolt rope. I believe you can maintain a better sail shape.

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Return to Rigging