boom vang placement

Moderator: GreenLake

boom vang placement

Postby calden » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:16 pm

Hey all:

Asked this in the DSI forum, thought I'd throw it here, too...

Because I hinged the mast, and re-attached the vang bail several inches higher than the original location, the vang angle ("vangle"?) is very shallow. I'm thinking of reattaching the bail lower.

Original location would be way down by the mast partner. I'm also thinking about attaching it below the cuddy - anything to get more downward pull. (I've also got one of those Schaeffer jam cleat fiddleblocks that I find difficult to use, and I'll probably be replacing that soon...)

Question: Is there any structural problems involved with putting the attaching bail below the mast hinge, especially way below it, under the cuddy? Is that too much pull on the hinged section?

Thanks,
Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

vang UNDER the cuddy?

Postby captainseasick » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:20 am

Carlos,
as you learn more about your boat, you will find that after 14,000 have been produced, it is very hard to make "new" inovations. I suggest it is best not to try to "re-invent the wheel"
you have never seen a vang that attached below deck structure for a very good reason! The silly boom does not have enough sense to remain in the same place all the time. As it swings, you would need a slot in the deck to accomodate the arc. This cut would be exactly in the place qwhere the deck needs its most strength. Just drill a hole through the side of the mast, at the lowest accessable point ABOVE the deck, but below the hinge. attach a small stainless steel tang with a bolt that passes compleatly through the mast. (the small drill hole wil not take much strength frome your stick, so don't worry about it.) Do not compress the mast with the bolt, just make it tight enough to fasten the tang to the base of the mast. If you want a quick detach use a snap shackle or other quick release hardware on one end of the vang.
Mike
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby calden » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:21 am

Thanks, Cap'n.

I was wondering how much boom-swing room I might have were I to carry out my idea, and that was on my list to check. I was going to rig up the mast and boom and move things around to see.

I do have a little room under the hinge, so that would give me another three inches to move my bail downward.

I think what I'll do for sure is replace the fiddle block on the vang assembly. It's currently a Ronstan vang for dinghies, and the fiddle block has a v-cleat. It feels awkward to pull it out then down. I think if I replace it with a similar block without the cleat it will be easier to use. I can put a cam cleat on the edge of the cuddy, and run the vang line through that. It'll be closer for the crew and easier to haul in when needed.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Rigging