Stays

Moderator: GreenLake

Stays

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:31 am

I am new to sailing and have a problem I hope someone can help with. The port side stay snapped while sailing yesterday and my mast pulled out of the three screw holes at the deck. 1)Should I replace all three stays? 2) when looking on-line have found stays but do I need to give an exact measurement? (Are the jib stay and Port/Starboard stays the same length) 3) Is $140 for all three a good price (1/8 19) 4) I plan on cutting the mast down a half inch or so and drilling new holes for the mast to be reattached to the short mast that comes through the deck,is that appropriate or should I try to some how band the mast with the existing holes back together? Any thoughts would be apreciated as I am not near any sailboat marinas. Thanks Jim
Jim

Fixit...

Postby KaiB » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:27 pm

Contact Rudy at D&R for your stays. You'll probably want to beef up to 1/8" stays (seems everybody does) and I would imagine that you'll want to replace the chainplates also.

You won't hurt a thing by cutting an inch off of the mast and redoing the step. Discuss this with Rudy when you contact him.

No, the fore (jib) stay is not the same length as the side stays, which indeed, should be the same length as each other.
KaiB

Postby EberbachD » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:01 am

We had a similar result due to some vandalism (someone took the pin out of the stay bracket). After trying the marina for repairs, he suggested taking it to a welder instead. Since the Mast is pure aluminum, the welder was able to added some new aluminum to fix the tears. It has held up for two seasons so far. I wanted to try this fix first so I didn't have to shorten all of my stays and also, I wanted every inch of headroom under the boom.
David
DS II #10445
Grinnell, Iowa
EberbachD

Postby rweerstra » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:16 pm

What was the original size of the stays on the DS-1? It appears retrofits are to 1/8 inch, but I would like to know the original.
rweerstra

stay size

Postby Roger » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:10 pm

3/32" was the original size.
Roger

Return to Rigging