picture of an installed boom vang

Moderator: GreenLake

picture of an installed boom vang

Postby adam aunins » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:17 am

The DS2 I bought didn't come with a boom vang. I'm looking for one to buy. Plus I would like to see some good pictures of one installed on a DS to see how it goes. If anyone could give me some links or email me some pics I would be very thankful.
adam aunins

boom vang pic

Postby Roger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:45 pm

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=100

check here for a boom vang pic

It does not have the top end at the boom, but the attachement is a laser key style with a button that fits into a slot. An eye strap or boom bail, and shackle would likely work just as well.
Roger

Re: boom vang pic

Postby adam aunins » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:57 pm

Roger wrote:http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=100

check here for a boom vang pic

It does not have the top end at the boom, but the attachement is a laser key style with a button that fits into a slot. An eye strap or boom bail, and shackle would likely work just as well.

Thanks!! from what I've gathered so far there's lots of ways to set this up. It also sounded, from an old post I looked at ,that a boom vang was not needed unles you are in heavy winds. Is that so? For some reason it dosn't sound right to me. But then again I havn't been sailing for long
adam aunins

function of a boom vang

Postby Roger » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:24 pm

The purpose of a boom vang is to keep the boom from rising resulting in the mainsail spilling air. This can happen on any point of sail and in any wind conditions if there are gusts. It is more likely to happen in broad reach or running running downwind conditions and heavier winds with gusts.

On all points of sail however, it helps keep the power up, so I would therefore recommend it. You can give it some slack in close hauled and slack wind conditions however so that your sail can assume a more powerful shape to use what little wind there is more effectively.

The mainsheet itself in these conditions keeps the boom down, but as soon as it is way out to one side, there is little downward pull on the mainsheet so it is easy for the boom to kick up, when there is no boom vang.

It is a relatively cheap add on that increases sailing comfort in broad reach and downwind conditions. Its like having a pitching wedge in your golf club, a nine iron will do the job, but a pitching wedge does it better.
Roger

Postby adam aunins » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks again. I'm going to bring my boat home and rig it up this weekend to refresh my memory, and see where the vang goes. My boat is a '73 and the owners manual I downloaded said it came with a boom vang. Am I right to asuame that all DS came with them or did the stock rigging change throughout the years and builders.
adam aunins

Return to Rigging