Abstract question on slab reefing

Moderator: GreenLake

Abstract question on slab reefing

Postby jmy9366 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:09 pm

I had a set of reef points installed on my main over the winter, and I'm looking for general guidelines on what the increased wind velocity range for good singlehanded handling will be. I'm comfortable singlehanding with a full main to about 15mph of wind, after which it's more work than fun. My boat came with a reefing claw, but the only time I attempted to use it, I was already out on the lake with a friend and the wind came up quickly, despite no forecast of that occuring. Needless to say, with a topping lift, the rolled reefing method with the claw is a disaster waiting to happen, never mind not being able to use a vang for lack of a place to attach it at the boom. I'm sure looking forward to jiffy reefing, yes I am!
jmy9366

soloed in 24 mph

Postby Roger » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:00 pm

but is was more work than fun. I did not have reefing in, but the whitecaps alone made boat management difficult.
Roger

reefing

Postby adam aunins » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:41 pm

I don't know if you can answer this or not. I also have a set of reefing points in my sail. I've seen sails that had reefing points in them and the lines to tie around the boom stayed in the sail, looking like tell tails. The last time I saw this they had four sets of reefing points, not on a DS. Did your sail maker give you any guide on how to reef it? Leave lines in? Make up the lines to have them ready and stow them until needed? From what I know if you have to reef on the water it will not be under the best of conditions. If anyone has any tips on this I would like to hear.
adam aunins

leave reef lines in

Postby Roger » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:07 pm

I had jiffy reefing added to my main. For this size, only three are needed in addition to the new clew and tack crinkle. Add a 3/16" line and knot it on both sides of the grommet. Each should be about 14" long. If you can reef before you go out, (at the dock), but if you get caught in increasing winds, go into a heave to position and reef in the shadow of the jib. The easiest way to heave to is to tack through the wind, but don't release the original working jib sheet. Then angle the tiller to match the same angle as the jib. Let go the mainsheet, and it will flap in the shadow of the jib allowing you to reduce sail. Bring down the luff first then the leech, then attach your reef lines.
Roger

Postby jmy9366 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually going to the lake in moments, but not sure if I'm going out....can't find crew and it's gusting to 20 today. I agree with the observations on steady vs gusty conditions. I added the hardware to the boom for jiffy reefing a few weeks ago and plan on setting up the lines today, as well as add a point of attachment for my vang just above the cuddy deck.

adam, I found this link with decent pix on how to rig for jiffy reefing, made it easy to understand:

http://www.blumhorst.com/potterpages/po ... eefing.htm
jmy9366

Return to Rigging