Reef points

Moderator: GreenLake

Reef points

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2000 1:00 am

If you were going to put one set of reef points in the main, where would it be?

Mike Hastings (hastinml-at-co.forsyth.nc.us)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 14, 2000 1:00 am

Don't know if you received any replies on your request for reef point info, but the original mainsail that came with my '86, Precision made, DS1, has a single set of reef points. The reef tack point is 34" above the tack cringle, and the reef leech point is 38" above the leech cringle. This location seems to provide enough sail area reduction to help under most conditions that I've encountered.

Lee

Lee Peterson (leep-at-means.net)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2000 1:00 am

Generally the rule of thumb is go with two sets. On the DS aspect ratio ... about 1/3 the way up the luff cuts sail area in half. In a stiff blow of moderate strength, a 25% reduction can substantially increase cumfort. In a hard blow where you want to drop the jib but need headway (in stiff winds a small outboard motor can be worthless) you will want some ability to maintain steerage. The main only option on the DS is not a balanced one so I should think a 66% reduction in sail area might be good. I have one set of points that make for a 50% reduction and I'm not really happy with it. When safety (or cumfort) is the issue, and assume you will get caught out aways in a blow someday, you want all the right options. ... my opinion for free.

MAK (ymak41-at-yahoo.com)

Return to Rigging