centerboom mainsheet?

Moderator: GreenLake

centerboom mainsheet?

Postby calden » Thu May 17, 2007 1:54 pm

Hey all:

I'm considering going from the standard mainsheet rigging (actually, not standard, but using the two rear p&s blocks for a rope traveller setup) to a mid-boom with fiddle block setup. I don't want a traveller - I like the open cockpit. I've seen some pictures of this setup and it looks as though a traveller is not as needed with mid-boom attachment. It seems as though the boom is more controlled from that point than having the attachment point way out at the end.

I'm just tired of dealing with the lines getting caught up in the hoisted motor (I need a motor where I sail from, really.) I'm getting a stationary engine bracket and hold it up and look and see and think, but that has it's disadvantages, too.... getting the motor way out back adds weight.

So is a mid-boom fiddleblock main sheeting system without a traveller a weird thing, or is it okay?

Thoughts, please...

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Mid-boom mainsheet

Postby Sean McGuire » Thu May 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Hey Carlos,

It isn't weird at all if you ask me. That is the way my DSII is rigged. No motor entanglements. The only downside is that roll-reefing requires a claw. Mine has slab or jiffy reefing so not a problem for me.

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Postby calden » Thu May 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Sean:

Thanks for the response. Do you have a traveller? If you don't, do you feel like the sail gets too out of control?

If I could get by with changing to this, I'd be fine just sticking the motor on the boat, and save on the motor mount. There'd also be a lot less spaghetti flying around, and a lot easier to rig up quickly.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Phill » Fri May 18, 2007 1:56 am

Carlos,

Your mid boom mainsheet idea will work without the traveler bar.

HOWEVER, your upwind preformace will be pitiful. There will be no way to get the boom near the centerline without extreme downward pull during the last couple of feet. This will over tighten the mainsail leech, which will stall the sail and forfiet all upwind preformance.

Those who prefer to keep the transom area clear, must go to a full width traveler bar near the end of the CB trunk. This way you can pull the traveler car all the way to the windward side, and then trim the mainsheet to nearly center the boom without overtightening the leech. ( By the way you will also need shin padding, as this traveler bar set up is gauaranteed to take a few bites out of your shins each time you go sailing ) :? Also because you will be pulling the boom from only the middle, you will likely need more purchase, 4/1 or even 5/1. On the end it usually takes only 3/1. I even reduce that to 2/1 when the wind is lighter. I wonder how much extra load is placed on the boom when all work is applied to the middle of the boom?

I was watching the Louis Vittion Cup racing yesterday, and noticed that they are using end boom main sheeting.

Sorry to splash on your idea. If you are only sailing on light wind close reaches and runs, then you may not need the upwind preformance to get home at the end of the day.

just my .02 worth ?

phill
Phill

Postby Sean McGuire » Fri May 18, 2007 8:21 am

Hey Carlos,

I don't have a traveller and I don't feel out of control in my boat. I also haven't noticed the sail being too flat when I am going upwind like Phil mentioned. I think if you found your sail to be too flat, you could ease off a little on your downhaul and outhaul to give the sail a more rounded shape. I am not a racer, so I am not usually concerned about keeping my sails super tight and flat. I think a sail is like a woman - it should have some curve to it.

Sean
Sean McGuire

mid boom sheating

Postby Michael Schreibman » Fri May 18, 2007 8:35 am

controlling the fullness or flatness of your sails is like shifting gears. A full sail that is twisted off at the top will add some drive and power in light air, but that same full sail will knock your boat over in stronger wind. to sail higher into the wind with less power a mid boom traveler is the best tool. Likewise to depower in a gust, the mid boom sheating gives much more control vs. just releasing the mainsheat. A sail like a women with too many curves can be too much to handle when the going gets rough.
Mike
Michael Schreibman
Michael Schreibman

Postby calden » Fri May 18, 2007 9:44 am

Thanks for the great discussion, guys. I especially love the sail/woman analogies. We could go on for days about that, I'm sure.

I guess I want it both ways - I love going upwind with as much power as possible (and we get some good blows on our mountain lake) but I definitely do NOT want the traveller. This is not just a racing boat - I go out with my wife a lot (here comes the women again...) and it's of paramount importance to me that she feel comfortable. As it is she is still getting used to all the tangle of things in the cockpit. I'm sure a traveller would make her stay home.

I'll stick with the transom rigged traveller and just get the small motor mount to extend the engine backwards a few inches.

Thanks again.
Carlos
Last edited by calden on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS I #1653
calden

mid boom

Postby Michael Schreibman » Sat May 19, 2007 8:01 am

My wife doesn't like to wind up swimming when a huge gust blows the boat over. She LIKES the fact that I have instant and reliable control over that big main sail. Letting the traveler down an inch or two to reduce healing, and bringing it up again to increase power is the best comfort you can give your wife. Another point of view is that in my experience, no matter what you sail, most wives DON"T LIKE IT! I guess it is a control thing. In the kitchen, she tells you what and when you are going to eat, but usually on a boat, she has to follow your orders. She knows that you hardly know what you are doing, so it is almost impossible for you to get her out very often. That is just the way it is! Wives are very wise people.
Michael Schreibman
Michael Schreibman

Postby Adrift » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:42 pm

Carlos,

I'm sure that the whole traveller with track and car setup is best for ultimate performance. And on boats twice the length of the DS I've used them quite effectively. But I don't race my DS, I go to enjoy nature and explore.

When I went from the misnamed triangular "traveller" at the stern up and over and down to the centerboard trunk to a simple 3:1 arrangement using a fiddleblock & block w/becket, I did get rid of some clutter and did not lose any measurable performance. Main sheet forces are never more than an old man like me can handle with one hand. Less set up and tear down, too (single point to remove the sheet from the boom vs two).
Adrift

Return to Rigging