Whisker pole

Moderator: GreenLake

Whisker pole

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:21 pm

Hey gang,

Today I got a chance to try "wing-and-wing" going downwind. I found a pole from my old Larsen scow that didn't seem to make it's way into that boat when I sold it years ago. It's an aluminum pole about 6 feet long, with a hook on each end and two eye straps in the center. I believe it was a spinnaker pole, though I never had a kite for that boat ...

So, out I went today, and from a hove-to position, I hooked one end of the pole into the clew grommet of the jib, re-routed the starboard jib sheet outboard of the shroud, and hooked the other end of the pole onto the main downhaul cleat. Seemed like the best place to secure it, just to try it out. So, then I sheeted in the stb jib sheet as tight as I could, unleashed the tiller, kinda "backed" her into a run, and off we went, main out to port and jib out to starboard.

Anyway, my question is this: obviously, I need some sort of eye strap or eyebolt on the front of the mast to place the other, non-clew hook of the pole into. I've looked at the rigging guide, etc., and don't really see any measurement for how far above the cuddy deck, say, that this should go ... ?

Help?

Thanks!

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:17 am

Tim,

I would pole out the jib while the boat is on the trailer as if you were running and mark the location on the mast where the pole is perpendicular to the mast to get the most projection for the jib.

There are spinnaker mast rings that are attached to the front of the mast that you can find in almost any sailing catalog. If your mast is a Dwyer mast, I'd use a Dwyer ring, if you have Proctor Mast, use a Proctor ring. If you have no idea who built it, try looking at a local store, west Marine, Layline, or APS to get an idea. Also try D&R Marine.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks Bob.

On closer reading of the Specifications and Measurements, I see the pole must be 74" max, and the fittings between 24" and 48" above the cuddy roof. I don't race, but that gives me an idea of where to start. Like you say, perpendicular to the mast would seem to give the best projection.

I do not know who made this mast, as the label has long ago worn off. I will look at the Dwyer site and see what they might have.

Thanks again for the help!

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:54 pm

The Dwyer website had nothing I could find quickly that looked like it would work. What I recommend is something like RWO part number R4252
See the picture at:
http://rwo-marine.com/spin_handling.html

Good luck.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Bob,

Actually, Dwyer has one here, about 2/3 of the way down the page, DH 601, that is specifically for the DM-284 mast extrusion, which is what I now believe I have:

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... 2D284+Mast

D&R has the same thing, at the same price:

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR602

I'm going with Rudy, as I need a couple of other things from him too, and I'd rather give him my money so's to help make sure he stays around and in bidness for a long time to come! :D

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Return to Rigging