Loose shroud

Moderator: GreenLake

Loose shroud

Postby Daniel Westfall » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:31 pm

I have noticed when sailing in 8 to 15 mph winds that the mast will make a noise and the leeward shroud will be very loose. I cannot tell if the tabernacle is the problem or if the mast is not stable or the shrouds are not adjusted properly. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Daniel Westfall

Postby algonquin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:54 pm

I believe having a lee shroud loosen up with the wind speeds you had is normal for most sail boats. I had the same happen on my Macgregar Venture Newort (23ft) and Luger 30 even with adjustable turnbuckles on the shroud. You could try snugging the mast jack a little more but you would be risking pulling the shroud mount right out of the boat if you over tighten. Also the DS mast does have a tendency to move to leeward just because there is some play in the hole on the cuddy. You could try small shims around the base of the mast where it passes through the cuddy.
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Reef » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:43 pm

this is totally normally - no worries and no need to shim the mast either. my '74 dsii has done this forever and i've observed it with other small boat including rhodes 19, etc...
happy sailing!
Reef

Loose shroud

Postby Daniel Westfall » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:26 pm

Thanks for the replies on the loose shroud. It is somewhat of a concern when you see the shroud line that loose with so much slack in it. I will continue sailing on and keep an eye on it just the same.
Daniel Westfall

Return to Rigging