jiffy reefing

Moderator: GreenLake

jiffy reefing

Postby Guest » Thu May 04, 2000 12:00 am

I am considering adding jiffy reefing to my 72 DSII. Could anyone advise me as to how far up the sail to install the reef points. Also, since only two points are used, what is to be done with the bunt hanging in between the reef points. I have been using the roller reefing but was never pleased with the performance. Would appreciate any and all advise.

Russell Hobbs (rhobbs-at-hargray.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 05, 2000 12:00 am

I own a 1988 DS1. I just had a sail shop install a set of reef points on my mainsail. After seeking some advice on this and other websites, I opted to go with a single set. The luff and leech cringles are located approximately 60" above the foot of the sail giving me a 40% reduction in sail area. Three intermediate grommets allow me to secure the sail to the boom. I rigged a reefing line by adding cheek blocks and a cleat to the boom. I've only been sailing once since adding the reef points, but I was able to test the system in a 20+ mph blow. The boat was much esier to handle, and it performed well with and without the jib. My total cost for the reefing system was around $150. The control and confidence it has given me was well worth the investment. Good luck!

Stan Kirlin (stank-at-trib.com)

Return to Rigging