singlehanded mods

Moderator: GreenLake

singlehanded mods

Postby Guest » Tue May 09, 2000 12:00 am

I am interested in making any modifications to my rig which would facilitate and simplify single handed cruising of my DS II. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Russell Hobbs (rhobbs-at-hargray.com)

Postby Guest » Sun May 14, 2000 12:00 am

I am also in the process of trying to make my DS I easier to singlehand. I am planning to buy a Forespar telescoping tiller extension and a tiller lock box. Can anyone comment on their experience with any of the self tending tiller accessories?

The jib sheets on my Spindrift DS I cleat on top of the cuddy. My only other plan is to eventually lead the jib sheets to cleats on the centerboard trunk as I have seen on some other boats.

Vince (vincent.demperio-at-bms.com)

Postby Guest » Tue May 16, 2000 12:00 am

I prefer the Tiller Tamer, and have installed one on each of the boats I've owned. It will allow you to heave to and "lash" the tiller to leeward, as well as lock your tiller in any position. I made a small line deflector from recycled plastic to prevent my end boom traveler lines from looping over the tension knob. My tiller extension is completely independent.

I too have mounted my jib cleats on the centerboard trunk where they may be reached by the helmsman. Jib sheet turning blocks are on the rail, leaving just enough room for the after section of any crew to sit on the rail between them and the cuddy. My end boom traveler control lines cleat just forward of the helmsman when seated on the rail, and are located on the side of the tank, just slightly (1") aft of the jib sheet turning blocks. That leaves enough room for the helmsman to easily work the traveler line. My traveler triangle adjustment lines cleat on the rail just aft of the helmsman and can be reached with the "tiller" hand; these controls are located on both sides of the boat. Barber hauler cleats are on the cuddy top and can be reached by the crew while on the windward rail, or by the helmsman with a long reach. I have a 6:1 vang with a cascade to make it 12:1, with the cleat at the boom. The line hangs below the boom just forward of the helmsman and can be reached by helmsman or crew. The Tiller Tamer comes into play when halyard adjustments are needed, such as when raising or lowering sails while single handing. When sailing single handed, my main sheet rests on my aft leg, the jib sheet lays across my forward leg, the traveler is in my forward hand, tiller extension in my aft hand. Hope this helps.

Lee

Lee Peterson (leep-at-means.net)

Postby Guest » Fri May 19, 2000 12:00 am

I installed a tiller extension last year. The manufacturer is Ronstan and it is a telescoping type. It has been a huge help when singlehanding. I can sit high on the coaming or easily reach as far forward as the mast.

This year I have made a tiller control device. It is a stainless steel D-ring that will slip over the first few inches of the tiller. I attached two equi-length bungie cords to the D-ring. The bungie cords (with hooks at each end) are just long enough to attach the the rear cleats. This should be easy to install only when needed and keep the tiller centered but allow side to side movement of the tiller while installed. I have not tested this device yet.

Ron (rlutzel-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 22, 2000 12:00 am

I've been sailing my DS I singlehanded, off and on, for over 20 years with no special rigging. The trick is pick your days, you know, days with just the right wind. Sit on the rail, at about in the middle of the centerboard trunk, with the main sheet over one knee and the jib over the other knee, so you know right where your sail controls are then you need them. I sail in Colorado, along the front range, and the wind speed and direction can change very, very quickly, so I'm ready to make an adjustment very, very quickly.

You could also have a sail maker put in Jiffy Reefing points on your main sail to shorten sail when you need to. Our Day Sailers don't sail very well with just one sail, so it's best to shorten the main, before it gets too bad and we want take down the jib. Jib Roller Reefing would be a great investment to balance the sail plan but, sailing with a crew might be cheaper

How ever, our Day Sailers do "heave to" very well.

Back the jib.
Let main all the way out.
Point the end of the tiller towards the boom, thats all the way over .
Your Day Sailer will stop foward motion and drift sideways very slowly.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Rigging