rigging a lifting bridle

Moderator: GreenLake

rigging a lifting bridle

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:00 am

I have a 1984 Spindrift DSI that I would like to rig with a lifting bridle so that I can use the hoist at my local sailing club (they don't have a launch ramp). Has anyone else rigged their boat for a bridle? I'd appreciate any input.

Vince (vincent.demperio-at-bms.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:00 am

The previous owner of my Daysailer installed such a bridle and although I have it I never used it so this is the best I can do. It attaches to the boat at four points: to a shackle at the base of the turnbuckle for each shroud, and to small inverted u-shaped bolts installed on the aft corners of the transom. The bridle itself has four lines that come together on a ring above the level of the boom. You hook your hoist to that ring. I don't have the exact measurements but if you need them contact me directly at miller_mark_web@yahoo.com and I'll pull the thing out and measure it. Figuring out the center of gravity of the boat will be the tough part.

Mark Miller (miller.mark-at-boston.va.gov)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 07, 2000 12:00 am

Hi,

I have an '84 Spindrift as well. The two eyes on the transom should be secure enough to support the back of the boat. I'm not sure if I'd put the rest of the weight on the bow eye, though. I saw an O'Day DS1 at a regatta that had chainplates w/ two holes. A small hole for the shroud lines, and a larger one for a lifting hoist. If you had these, the two on the transom, and the bow eye you'd have no problem I'm sure. I would be sure your ropes for attaching distribute the weight to all the points, especially the chain plates and bow eye.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 12, 2000 9:40 am

So that's what the second holes in the chainplates are for! I own a 1962 DS1 and I have never been able to fathom a use for the forward holes on the chainplates. Am I correct in fastening the shrouds to the aftermost holes (which look like they're in the center of the chainplate)?

Greg Farley
Tallahassee, FL

Greg Farley (farley-at-bio.fsu.edu)

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:43 am

I know you guys wrote this a long time ago, but I just noticed it. I have rigged lifting bridles for both my old 1983 DS II, and my new (older) 1968 DSI (confused yet?) anyway, on the DS 2 we actually put in two large eyebolts in the deck, inside the chainplates. These eyebolts were run through the deck and through an 18in. 2X6 with large fender washers on both the deck and the underside of the eyebolt. For the back I ran them to the large cleats in the stern quarters. It worked ok, for where we are, the lake we hoist onto is only about 1-2 feet below the parking lot level, so it wasn't on the hoist for long. When I went to Sarasota with that boat, and was hoisting down 5-6 feet, the stress on the deck made me a bit nervous. So with the new (older) boat, we tried something new. We instead were able to fit a small (I don't remember the size, sorry)shackle pin through the shroud and the chainplate. The Shackle pin takes the place of the clevis pin that holds the shroud to the chainplate. The matching shackle is what I hook my bridle to. The boat already had rings mounted in the stern for hoisting, These rings are mounted with wooden backing, and work fine too. This set up works better, although it was kind of a trick to find the right sized shackle that was small enough to fit into the shroud and chainplate, and still be big enough to fit the hoist hooks into.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Rigging