Buying a ODay DaySailer

Moderator: GreenLake

Buying a ODay DaySailer

Postby Saluda » Wed May 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi all,

I am new to sailing, only been sailing with friends in the past. Sorry for my lack of Sailing terms..

Today, I just ran across a 16 foot day Sailer. I could not find a hull number, do not know where to look for one. I did notice the wording Javelin under the paint.

The owner of boat had this boat for the last 22 years, and it has not been in the water for a long time. Here is my observations of the boat.

Trailer/tires good condition
The hull is intact.
The hull needs to be sanded or something and a nice paint job.
Did notice a soft spot near the keel.

Swing down Keel, alot of rust.

Rigging
The main mast is intact, no dents are rust. The top of the mast little wheel is chipped, but works.
The boom looks good to the eye with no dents or rust

Things to replace:
all the small hardward to include ropes and cables

The wood at aft needs to be replace. I have a friend who is a cabinet maker that can cut me some new pieces.

The owner of the 16 foot Oday was asking $600, but will take $500.

He stated the sails are in good condition, and could take the boat out as is, not sure about that part. I will have to should me how to rig the boat, in case there is any missing parts.

A friend of mind who restores cars, stated it would be no problem restoring the hull.

Question:
Is this a good price ($500) for an Oday that is poor shape, but can float?
Saluda

Javelin

Postby kokko » Thu May 07, 2009 9:41 am

So - you have an O'Day Javelin. You can compare the asking price withg those listed on Sailing Texas:

http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99odayjavelin.html

hard to say if is a good price or not. THe good news is that parts are available from DR Marine, and elsewhere. You are wise to replace all the running rigging (ropes). THe sails should be inspected carefully - try to push your finger through the cloth. THe Dacron used in sails are susceptible to UV degradation, and eventually turn to cheesecloth.

Do rig the boat completely. It's easy on the trailer. Get the mast up, the boom on, the sails on, and the mainsheet on, and the rudder on. THis boat is different from my Daysailer. Note "daysailer" is generic and "Daysailer" is O'Day's version thereof. Javelin is another.

Check the centerboard mechanism, and the rudder assembly
. You don't want to disclover you are missing a pin lakeside.
kokko

O'Day javalin

Postby wrmann » Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 pm

There is a site where an O'day Javalin was restored. I would try and find that site as see what that owner did. Replacing the transom could be a big job unless you were willing to spend lots of time to do it correctly. The same applies if you have to repair the metal centerboard. I think $500 is too much. I suggest you try and find a Daysailer rather than this Javalin. They sail quite well and this forum will assist you with your questions and repair ideas.
wrmann

Postby Saluda » Thu May 07, 2009 9:43 pm

I am a now a owner of a O'Day Javelin. I inspected the sails today, and they are good. The previous owner also rig up the mast and boom with sails; no problem all works. The spreaders are missing, and notice half of a Spreader Bracket is broke off. I found replacements at Dr. Marine.

The centerboard does raise and lower, and the rust is just surface rust and dirt from sitting under a tree for many years.

Today, I use spray washer to clean off loose paint and dirt. I got two more people to look at the hull, both said it would be an easy job to restore. I am off to tool store Friday to pick up sand paper.

I have a new saying now, I will repeat to myself everday until the hull is finish. I love fiberglass and sanding... Maybe I will learn to love it. My goal is to have the hull strip down in one week, depending on weather.

David
Saluda

Buying a Oday Daysailer

Postby Jett » Thu May 07, 2009 11:56 pm

David,

You should have fun fixing up and sailing the Javelin. It's really a kick. I now am fixing up a Daysailer, but I owned and sailed a Javelin for the past two years. I changed only because I wanted a little more space on a boat.

The price you paid is not bad considering your description of its shape (I paid $1000 for one that leaked at the centerboard pin and self bailer, though everything was all there). Mine was a 1972, and that model was self bailing (or self swamping until I fixed the leaks!). Once I fixed it, cleaned it up and polished it out, it provided two summers of fun sailing. It's a lively boat. Have fun!

Now for the rest of you Daysailers, Hello. I have a new-to-me 83' Spindrift Daysailer I, and I want to say that this site is very valuable in helping me figure out how to repair a few things (centerboard and bailer gaskets, etc.). So, I'll chime in once in a while if I can add anything worthwhile to the discussions.

Cheers!
Jett Conner
Jett

Return to Rigging