Help a new guy rig his boat!

Moderator: GreenLake

Help a new guy rig his boat!

Postby s1120 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:59 am

Hey there. OK, so I just got my DSII and going through it to see how everything works, and hooks up. I have messed with a few other simple boats, and read a lot of books, but dont have a lot of sailing experance. Here is what I have....

OK, so on the end of the boom, there is a block. It seems the one on the side of the boom is for the sail, the angle is all wrong for the one on top. What is it for?? I thought maybe some kinda topping lift, but I see no place on the mast top to fasten a line.

Next is the vang.. I have read up, and seems I just tie a line around the mast through that little eyehook. Mine is below the hinge, most I have seen are above it. Is that a issue?? Also the vang apears to not let line out. How do they work?

Not the main sail... How far should it go up? Seems to stop about this point.

Next, any idea what this is for? there are three on the boom. One for the outhaul, but what are the front one, and the mid one for? the boat was set up for a spinneker, and I think thats what the front one was for, but whats the mid one for??

OK, so I will stop this long post at the mainsheet. Is this hooked up right? Seems kinda fat foward on the boom. Is that normal?? Looks to have been adapted to the midboom sheeting. It has the two blocks in the back, but does not seem to have used them.

Thanks for any help!!!!
Paul B
s1120

rigging

Postby kokko » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:01 am

THe small block at the end of your boom is for a clew outhaul. A line from the clew, through the block and back - to tighten the foot of the sail.
kokko

Postby shawn » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 am

It looks like your boat has been rigged a couple of different ways. Both of the blocks at the end of the boom may have been used for the outhaul, it seems someone attached one on the side themselves (it is screwed and not riveted). You have a hinge on the mast so the eyestrap should be under the hinge for the vang. It may not be an ideal setup but it works, jsut run a short line through the block on the bottom of the vang and tie it through the strap. The vang will run from side to side that way. The vang cleat itself should be a jam cleat and the line should run through unless it is of the wrong diameter. The mainsail should go higher, (the bylaws give the measurement of how high) look for some kind of obstruction that does not allow it to go any higher. As for mainsheet routing, there are any number of ways to accomplish that. My boat originally came with mid-boom and I switched it to end boom sheeting with a fixed traveler (for better control and shape). Take a look through the gallerys and take notice of how other people have done it. Once you get a handle on sailing you'll start seeing what works and doesn't work and come up with your own solutions.

Shawn
DS II 10542
shawn

rigging

Postby kokko » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:52 am

It also looks like the boom is rigged for jiffy reefing. There is a cheek block on the starboard side of the boom near the mast. A line would go through an eyestrap on the port side, up trough the reef cringle on the sail, down through the pictured cheek block, then aft to a cleaat. There should be a similar system on the aft end of the boom: eyestrap, reef cringle, down to cheek block, then forward to a cleat.
kokko

rig

Postby kokko » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:55 am

Yes, I see it in the first photo. You are incorrectly using the aft reef cheek block for the outhaul.
kokko

Postby Peterw11 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:06 am

Shawn nails it pretty well. Your boat, like mine, has been rigged to accomodate a number of preferences. Just because you have all these fittings, it doesn't mean you have to use them all.

He's also correct on the main sheet rigging. You have a mid boom main sheet, (as does mine) but can also rig for an end boom traveler.

I like my mid boom set up. It's a nice fit ergonomically, especially since I sail singlehanded, and works quite well. I may change to the end boom rigging someday, as I become more knowlegable. The fittings are already in place should I choose to do so.

I've got three horn cleats in line along my boom. At first, I used the stern most one for the outhaul, but soon realized a longer outhaul made it easier for me to stand at the cuddy to guide the bolt rope into the boom slot.

I lengthened the outhaul and now use the cleat closest to the mast to secure it. I pretty much ignore the other two cleats.

The vang should have a V cleat, like that on your boom. Hoist the main and then adjust the vang according to wind conditions. Securing the vang below the tabernacle is acceptable, IMO. Some folks secure theirs to the cabin top, adjacent to the mast, depending on the model of boat.

As long as you've got the basic geometry correct (vang mounts at 45 degree angle to the boom), you should be fine.

As far as the hoisting the main goes, it should run all the way to the top.
If it won't raise any further, the boom might be jammed in the slot. Check for obstructions in the mast slot.

I have to lift my boom at the gooseneck when hoisting to get the sail all the way to the top. A little spray lube might help that as well. It's also possible that you don't have an original sail and it may be a bit shorter than it should be.

I'm hardly an expert on these things, having owned my DS for a little over a month. There are a lot of much more knowledgable folks on this site. Check out all the threads and you'll find the answers you're looking for.
Peterw11

Postby jdubes » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:23 am

Take a look at this photo on how to rig the main sheet. This is one way.
http://daysailer.org/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=100

And take a look at this manual, it will give you some additional insight.
http://www.daysailer.org/pdf/ds1man-oday.pdf
jdubes

Postby s1120 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:24 pm

OK, sence I typed this, I pulled out the new sails, and see thy have gromments for reefing. So ya... I got it hooked up wrong. :D Anyone have a pic of the outhaul setup? Im not quite getting it.

Looking at the new sail, and the gromments, I am guessing that second block at the back of the boom is probably for reefing. I dont see any other cleats, so I got to scope things out.

Thanks for all the help!!! Anything else you all see wrong?
Paul B
s1120

Postby Peterw11 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Just run your outhaul line through the top block (the one in your hand in the first pic) and back along the boom to the first cleat.

Why you have a cheek block, the fixed one at the end of the boom, I can't figure out. If it was for a traveler set up, I'd think it would hang below the boom. I think kokko's jiffy reefing description explains it, as I'm not too familiar with how that works.

With your current mid boom sheeting, you don't need that cheek block, as far as I know.

BTW, in your second pic from the top, you have what looks like the end of the vang in your hand. There should be a line (about 18" long or so) that goes through that block on the end of the vang and around the mast below the tabernacle (through that little eye strap).

Also, you might want to clear that red rag from the masthead. It may jam the main halyard which is whywhy your halyard won't raise the main to the top. If it's just for marking the end of the mast while towing, you should probably put it somewhere else.

Oh, yeah. Your mid boom sheeting set up is in the correct location. Mine's set up just the same.
Peterw11

Postby s1120 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 am

OK, I think I am getting it... Now my issue is there is no cleat on the boom. Where abouts should it be??????
Paul B
s1120

outhaul cleat

Postby kokko » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:37 am

You can mount it anywhere along th eboom where it could be led fair from that block. A small clam cleat is what you need, and it could be mounted with self-tapping screws.

If you don't want to bother with that, take the line from the outhaul cringle, run it through the block, back to the outhaul cringle, then tie it off with a clove hitch. It's harder to adjust under sail, but you need to get on the water.
kokko

Postby Peterw11 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:53 pm

"Now my issue is there is no cleat on the boom. Where abouts should it be??????"

What are those black things running along the boom?

I've never seen those before. Are they cleats?

If not it looks like you can run your outhaul through them and on to the V cleat closest to the mast.

At the Community Sailing club I belonged to, the outhauls were secured by a V cleat on the boom, just like what you have. This applied to all the boats in their fleet.

That should work OK.
Peterw11

Return to Rigging