vang attachment location on boom

Moderator: GreenLake

vang attachment location on boom

Postby MrPlywood » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 am

DS1 #847 - I'm wondering what the typical distance is from mast to the vang attachment point on the boom. I'm using an existing piece of hardware that has the keyhole slot consistent with the type of vang that D&R sells. The mast attachment point is about as low as it can go. Even with that, the angle seems quite shallow. On mine, the measurement from mast to boom attachment point is about 39". How does that compare with your setup? Is there typically a range for this sort of thing or should it be fairly precise (i.e. a class rule)?

In a related question, I have searched high and low for a wire rope fitting that would work with the keyhole slot. Another poster called it a "pendant" which sounds right, but I have not been able to find anyone that is familiar with it. My local West Marine has everything but. I wanted to fabricate my own hardware with a pendant at one end and a thimble on the other, which would attach to the upper block. Not a big deal, but knowledge is power. :)

Thanks.
MrPlywood

Postby s1120 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 pm

My DSII has a ball on the end of the vang that fits in the keyhole slot on the boom
Paul B
s1120

apparently that slot fits a vang for a laser

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:05 am

My chandler sold me a laser button that with a bit of minor filing, fit into the slot just fine. I used a 3:1 vang that I rigged up, but the fiddle block was too close to the deck so I extended it with a ss 1x19 wire rope 1/8" diameter (overkill) to get the fiddle block off the deck.

To your original question, mine was a fairly shallow angle as well as my mast had been inadvertently shortened by the PO during a repair.

The stresses on this size of rig are not so great that the angle needs to be exact, and as far as I know the angle of the vang is not regulated by the class rules.

I can sent you pictures from my book if you wish. E-mail me at roger02@mts.net
Roger

Postby phil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm

"I'm wondering what the typical distance is from mast to the vang attachment point on the boom"

nobody answered this part of the question
phil

Postby navahoIII » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Bought ours from D&R. The instructions for the DSI say 28 inches from mast to first fastener hole.

Our vang, too, has a somewhat shallow angle, reason being that the mast is not regulation length -- overall it is 20' 11" and, obviously, deck stepped. So, where the boom may be as much as 24 inches from the mast datum, ours is a bit under 18 inches. But -- as they say-- the lower the center of effort on the mainsail the more stable the boat in stronger winds ---correctt?

Anway, am reassured (by Roger) that the angle matters not so much with this boat.
navahoIII

Postby MrPlywood » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 pm

LOL Phil, maybe I should avoid the two-parters. :)

Thanks for the feedback Roger and navaho. Looks like I have some room to experiment. I'll email you separately Roger - thanks for the offer. I scoured the albums for vang pics and came up with a few (like Bob Hunkins' and Phill's), but none directly from the side so it's a bit hard to compare actual location. I do think mine is too far back though.

I gave up on the "button" & wire rope and I'm using a snap shackle which fits through the boom bail/hanger opening. Seems to work fine so far.
MrPlywood

Return to Rigging