Spreaders on the Daysailer

Moderator: GreenLake

Spreaders on the Daysailer

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 09, 1998 12:00 am

I'm in the process of restoring an older Daysailer that was given to me. Learning a lot as I go. I'm getting ready to make new standing rigging and it occurs to me that the pictures I've seen show shroud spreaders on the mast. The mast that I have lacks these but appears to have attach points for them. Qusetion: Do all Daysailers have spreaders on the mast and where might I purchase some? Great website. Thanks.

Bob Lindauer (rlindauer-at-sprintmail.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 10, 1998 12:00 am

You can purchase the spreaders & mast fittings from Dwyer mast company out of Connecticut. I don't have the address in from of me but the Sail Magazine buyers guide has the info.
I'll post the address later

Tom Dignam

thomas Dignam (tdignam-at-awod.com)

Here's a link to Dwyer's website:
<A HREF='http://www.csiworld.com/dwyer/dwyer.htm'>http://www.csiworld.com/dwyer/dwyer.htm</A>

It's also listed on the home page here.

Mike Boone (boonedocks-at-kagi.com)

FYI:

There may be a possibility of some confusion when referring to standing rigging configuration on 'older' Day Sailers.

The original rigging included a pair of wire 'stays'. Each stay ran from the head/top of the mast, over fixed (non-movable/non-swinging) struts approx. 8" long, and back to the mast approx. 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the mast. These struts pointed out at approx. 10:00 and 2:00 if viewed from the top of the mast, where the luff groove of the mast section is at 6:00.

YOU MAY REMOVE THESE STRUTS AND WIRES IF YOU HAVE THEM/NEVER REINSTALL THEM IF YOU ARE RERIGGING. Why, you ask? Because they are unnecessary and the boat handles better without them. In heavier air the mast is strong enough without them and the main sail will dump wind in the upper part of the sail during puffs, improving handling.

These jumper stays are not to be confused with the side stays which are attached approx. 1/3 of the way from the top of the mast, go over swinging spreaders (struts) approx. 24" long, and are attached to the chainplates (side stay plates) on either side of the deck.

THESE MUST BE RIGGED AND IN GOOD SHAPE AT ALL TIMES.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 20, 1998 1:00 am

Keith:
I have a DSI #3964 which has the original mast (including the jumper stays) you described above. I have thought about removing them, but have hesitated because they seem rather distinctive to the older Day Sailers. Is there any harm in leaving them in place, if maximum performance is not what I am after? Or would removing them actually improve performance even for those of use who aren't all that competitive?

Gary Powell (gdpowell-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 20, 1998 1:00 am

No harm keeping them. Won't matter whether they are there or not. If you don't feel you are 'competitive' you probably won't notice any improvement by removing them.

Keith A. Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Return to Rigging