Barber Hauler conflict

Moderator: GreenLake

Barber Hauler conflict

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2000 6:43 pm

I,m confused. I've read two descriptions on this site concerning how to rig Barber haulers. One (Phil Root) said use them to pull in the jib sheet towards the centerline. The other (written in 1967) said to rig the hauler from a point near the stay and pull the sheet out to increase the slot in heavy weather. Which is right? Anyone want to weigh in with their experience? Thanks
Rex Sheler
Rigging a 1984 DSI for possible racing.

Rex Sheler (signroute-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2000 8:16 pm

Hi Rex,

Actually, they're both right. What Phil Root and most racers use today are technically called barber in-haulers. The barber haulers you read about in the '67 article would in turn be called barber out-haulers. I don't know of anyone who have rigged barber out-haulers, but if you consistently raced in high wind conditions, they would probably be beneficial.

As you rig your '84 DS1 (a Spindrift, right?), you will probably want to move away from the deck-mounted jib cleats if you haven't already. They really limit how much you can trim your jib. See some of the past discussions on this site for suggestions.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791 (a Spindrift DS1)

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 15, 2000 8:35 pm

Rex,
The barber hauler is used to adjust the "slot" ( the opening between the lee side of the main and the wind ward side of the jib.) If you want to close the slot pull the barber in line, to open.. use the barber out.

Some boats only use a barber in and dont bother with a barber out.

I like to use both....
The barber in when I am hard on the wind,(to fine tune the slot.)

The barber out when reaching. (to controle twist in
the upper part of the jib. moveing the jib sheet under/closer to the clew of the jib helps.)

jib sheet
passes through
this hole
|

barber out-----------O------------barber in

There is a barber hauler for each side of the boat one for each jib sheet.

The circle above that the jib shhet gos through should be about 16" off the center line of the boat for pointing into the wind ( this is a good starting point ) you can pull it in closer if you want to point higher 13" is about max.

hope this helps.

Dave

Dave Misunas (misunas-at-sasquatch.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 12, 2000 4:46 pm

I get how you put barber in hualars in but i dont get how you can rig a barber out hauler. Any advise on rigging bout the out and in haulers would be appreciated.Nate

nathan (Snowbdr13-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 16, 2000 9:34 pm

I just put a turning block at the edge of mu boat and made 1 continous line. works great.

jerald (jaskeen-at-prodigy.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2000 8:20 pm

While I don't have Out Barber Haulers rigged on my boat, I have seen many rigged on other boats. (In Fleet 1 every October we have a race called "The Crab Pot"{guess what the trophy is} . This is a fun race and we usually rotate crews and boats. Sort of round robin sailing. So you get to see and use many of the other boats and see how they are rigged.) The boats that have Barber out hauls run the jib shet through a block or thimble atttatched to a line that goes through the deck forward of the shrouds and runs via your choice of blocks and cleats to the control position of your choice.

Chris Lewton (clewton-at-erols.com)

Return to Rigging