Spinnaker Gear and Traveller Advice

Moderator: GreenLake

Spinnaker Gear and Traveller Advice

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 1998 1:00 am

I am reconditioning a 1967 Daysailor 1. The boat came with a spinnaker but was never rigged for the sail.
Can anyone provide advice on halyard, sheet block placement, blocks pole materials, length, etc. In addition, what are the proper methods, locations for traveller installation? Mid, or end boom. Materials? Can you recommend a decent rigging book? or provide advice from the real world? Thanks!

Barry (bfk-at-proc2000.sannet.gov)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 19, 1998 1:00 am

Barry, Where are you located? there may be a fleet racer near that would advise you on how to set up your spinnaker. Let me know and I will see if I can get someone in touch with you. Also check out the Day Sailer National site at <A HREF='http://forum.daysailer.org'>www.daysailer.org</A>

Look <A HREF='http://forum.daysailer.org/images/blrigdetails.gif'>here</A> for where to attach spinnaker halyard block and spinnaker pole ring on your mast.

A spinnaker is a lot of fun, but they can be very frustrating at first, hang in there.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 01, 1998 12:00 am

Gus, thanks for the encouragement.
I'm in San Diego, a member of the Assn. ( we need a few more to start a chapter) The DS Web site and the Skeens have answered all my basic questions. The boat is rigged for the spinnaker, everything works well.
Now that the basic are out of the way, it's time to start tweaking.
Still havn't installed a traveller, and wondered if the Phil Root rigging on the web site (adjustable rear triangle) is all that is really necessary, (hey it won the Nationals right) OR if the performance benefits would be worth messing with a stern traveller. ( I value the shins too much to do the mid-boom set-up).
I got some other set-up schematics from "Layline", maybe its just (as it was with the spinnaker) start cutting and drilling and make it work well.

BARRY (bfk-at-proc2000.sannet.gov)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Mar 16, 1999 1:00 am

I'm planning on rigging a Traveler on my Spindrift Day Sailer, #11750. I've read the winter 1997 Quarterly article about stern travellers, which is useful, but the information there about midboom travellers is scant. Does anyone have thoughts on the performance of Midboom travelers vs. stern travelers? Right now, I'm inclined to think the midboom is the better performer, but makes the cockpit harder to move around in and is probably more expensive. The stern travellers in the 97 quarterly look pretty elegant, the only concern I have is how to correctly and easily set the height of the triangle. The article seems to imply splicing lines together, which is a catch-22. You can't know how high to set the triangle without doing the splice, and you can't splice until you know how high to set the triangle.

Any thoughts on the two types of travelers is appreciated.

Fair winds,
Bob
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 1999 1:00 am

I have the same dilema. Phil Root "got by" (first right?) in the Nationals a couple of years ago with only an adjustable triangle using the stock transom blocks and some kind of hook arrangement. (see the national web site for the illustrated rigging guide) So who needs a traveler?
I'm not an expert main trimmer, however, I find that having all the all sail trim equipment keeps the boat interesting to sail by offering more options in fine tuning the rig for better performance.( but I'm not racing so what's the point?) Knowing the trim is correct, or learning how and why it could be improved using a traveller, is fundamental knowledge that tranfers to all performance sailboats. (and it just feels good to know the sails are trimmed correctly) ( and maybe someday we will go the the Nationals) It would be great to practice and experiment with the DaySailer, but I still have not installed a traveller, partially due to the mid-boom vs. end-boom dilema. ( and partially because it all works without it so why bother, hhhrrruuummph).
The stern rig seems like it will work, and keep the cockpit clear, but maybe If one is to go through the trouble, the mid-boom would offer worthwhile performance advantages?
Thoughts and suggestions?
I have a 1967 DS 1 #2976. What is the proper location (fore n' aft) for the traveler track? at the stern end of the centerboard trunk? Mounted to brackets at the gunwales? through bolt, backing plate and reseal to the seats (flotation tanks!) How much.... what size...how far .......etc. etc. etc.
Come to think of it my sails are totally blown out anyway....I'll just clean it up and go sailing!

Barry (bfk-at-sdcity.org)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 1999 12:00 am

Stern Traveller vs. Mid boom.

We were lucky enough to be given a Daysailer last year. And we have been racing it since. The boat came with a mid boom traveller which we used last summer. Over the winter I pulled out the traveller and replaced it with the adjustable stern triangle traveller. What a difference!

For me the two main advantages are: once the triangle is set correctly, then I just trim in the mainsheet until the end of the boom is at the top of the triangle, and the main will be correctly trimmed (quick and easy, with no guess work). Advantage 2; each time we tack I don't have to touch the traveller and can focus on the jib telltales and my new course.

For racing I have found the stern traveller to be the way to go.

Richard Simpson (yankiwi-at-mindspring.com)

Return to Rigging