jib sheet too large for blocks

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:47 am

navahoIII wrote:Boy! I measured the holes and they seem to be about 1" 13/32" on center -- unusual?

Do you suppose the eye straps, even the solid round ones (which I prefer), are flexible enough to fit if they have slightly different measurements?

I think that I would find it easier to fill one of the holes (both if that's the only way to cover the holes) with thickened epoxy, with Cab-o-sil, and re-drill. Back it up with some fender washers and you should be good to go.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby navahoIII » Tue May 17, 2011 10:11 am

Old post, I know.

I did find stainless eyestraps from West Marine with the exact measurement of 13/32"! I attached them with stainless screw, washer and nut. Thay are secured good 'n tight.

For blocks, I went with Wichard 35 series, 5/16" single with swivel, about $13 each from Hamilton Marine. The wider sheave makes a difference!

Then, I replaced the cam cleats (from the old - original - ones made of that modified linen we all love so well for nostalgia sake if nothing else!) with a Harken model suited for the job, about $28 each, also from Hamilton. They are mounted on the inside coaming, port and starboard (the jib sheet goes through an eye in the coaming - original set up - after the deck mounted block) and they work so easily now -- like a hot knife through butter. I can't wait to try them out under sail!

Thanks, again, for the advice.
navahoIII

Previous

Return to Rigging