Mast spreaders?

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast spreaders?

Postby Boatbasin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:00 pm

I was just able to purchase a daysailer 1 #4051 in like new condition. It was stored inside with all original parts since 1970. It was only sailed one season back then so there is basically no wear and tear at all except for one broken spreader, and a broken secondary spreader that I cannot seem to locate. When I rigged the mast, I noticed there was a set of mast stiffeners whick begin 1/3 of the way up the mast and go to the mast head. They look like they are tensioned with a bolt that slides in these secondar aluminum spreaders and is tensioned with a nut on this bolt. I looked at all the pictures on this site and I cannot see if these secondary spreaders are on any other DS1 shown. Were these original? If so, how much tension should be applied? I don't want to call D&R until I know if they are original, or specific to my mast.
Boatbasin

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:01 pm

If you mean the diamond stays, many people report they have removed theirs entirely with no ill effect.

Removing them will make your mast bendier at the top. In theory, if the mast isn't strong enough, it could get damaged, but apparently that's not a concern in practice.

A bendier mast, especially together with a modern sail that's cut for it, would allow your mast to help depower your sail in a gust.

If you are missing parts for this, then you might simply be better off by removing the diamond stays and jump struts altogether.

BTW, this operation is on my "when I get around to" list...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seandwyer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi - welcome and congratulations on your find!

Yes, as Greenlake has already commented, these secondary spreaders were for the jumper stays and were placed on the boat when the consensus concerning mast rigidity was that the mast on this boat should be stiffer. Since then the thought is that having a bendier mast is safer and might even make the boat go a little faster during certain wind conditions. My boat had these on it when I bought it as well, but after everyone I talked to encouraged me to get rid of them - I did. If I were you I would remove the jumper stays and upgrade to the newer thicker diameter shrouds sold by places like D&R. I know your standing rigging has seen little use and is probably in perfect shape, but everyone also seems to agree that the thicker stuff is much safer.

Good luck!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Boatbasin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:54 am

Thank you for your responses. I got in touch with Rudy at D&R who so many of you spoke highly of in different posts. He recommended that with a boat this pristine and original, that I put it together as is with the replacement parts. He had them is stock and they were priced very low. In two days they were at my doorstep. He is a great guy and a great businessman. Parts are now installed and everything is good
Boatbasin

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:52 am

Many people like the looks of these diamond stays, so you're not alone.
Enjoy your boat!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging