my solution for main sheet fouling

Moderator: GreenLake

my solution for main sheet fouling

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 pm

So, last year I changed the rigging on my main sheet from center boom 3:1 to an end boom bridal with 2:1. I also added a powerful vang so now I'm using vang sheeting. I like this set up with the exception of the dangerous fouling I was getting at the transom and on my motor. The fouling around the motor threatened to dump me more than once so I was considering going back to mid-boom sheeting. But I found a solution that cost $5.40, a Dwyer boom bail.

I moved the tackle from the end of the boom 2 feet forward. After 30 some hours of sailing, in many kinds of conditions, I did not get any fouling! I'm a happy sailor. I also added a couple of nylon straps riveted to the boom to hold up the sheet rope from the center block back to the bridal blocks. It now no longer tries to steal my hat on tacking or jibes. With this set up the main sheet just doesn't seem to get in my way.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby hectoretc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi K.C.
Is there any chance you have a picture of your modified mainsheet setup? I'm trying to visualize and mostly due to my lack of experience I'm not understanding how it works.
I'm still deciding how to rig my mainsheet for next spring and if I can, I would like to better understand what you've done to improve yours.
If you don't have any pictures, that's fine, I figure it cost nothing to ask.
Thanks - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Scott,

I sure meant to take pictures but unfortunately did not. My boat is cocooned for the winter so I'll try and remember to take photos next time I'm sailing. Hopefully that will be before June. My setup is similar to this one except that I moved the tackle from the end of the boom towards the middle a couple of feet. gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1&image_id=100
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby hectoretc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks K.C.
The setup in the picture is where I've been headed, so that will give me a chance to try the original setup. It'll probably help me to understand from experience why moving the tackle forward makes a difference. If I don't figure it out, I'll shoot you a reminder in the spring. :-)
Thanks again - Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Return to Rigging