Topping Lift / New Sail / Boom placement

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Topping Lift / New Sail / Boom placement

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:37 pm

I would argue that the topping lift does not usually need to be adjusted all that often....
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:00 pm

My TL is never adjusted, because it's non-adjustable. Nor does it need to be. If I ever need to shorten it (boom tent), I give it a wrap or three around the end of the boom. Bam. Done. :roll:
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 pm

In light airs, you may want to support the weight of the boom. That might require a tad more precision than a wrapping method could deliver. Otherwise, I like your simple approach.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 pm

But the purpose of the topping lift is to support the boom while the sail is down, is it not? I've never been on any boat where the TL is used for sail shape/control ...
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:31 am

Ah, but I have! :)

It's one in the bag of tricks if you sail in very light conditions.

You should try it sometime.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seandwyer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:01 am

So, how exactly do you use the topping lift to adjust the sails? I'm interested in this.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby jeadstx » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 am

I originally installed a topping lift to support the boom when not sailing. I made it adjustable so I could get the boom high enough when rowing the boat to prevent the boom hitting me in the head.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:24 pm

seandwyer wrote:So, how exactly do you use the topping lift to adjust the sails? I'm interested in this.

When the air is really light, the boom may flatten the sail excessively simply by weight. Nudging up on the topping lift can allow the sail to assume a better shape (for upwind). This is an issue in those situations where the wind is not strong enough to shape the sail and where you need to use other tricks to cause the sail to be in the correct shape, so that any airflow that hits the sail can produce lift. Another common trick is to heel the boat to leeward so that the sails will not hang straight, but form a curve to leeward, as usually.

That's different from what you see Lasers do on light wind runs, where they heel to windward to get more of the sail area higher up (where laminar air flow is faster).

The DS boom is heavy enough that using a TL in those conditions should be effective, but while I'm familiar with this technique, I haven't tried it on my DS (don't have a TL installed there yet).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:02 pm

I've used the topping lift trick in light air to get more twist along with healing to leeward for shape. Of course, these days if the UPS can't get me going, it's time for the Johnson wind. And of course, that's when I use the topping lift now. :-)
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby talbot » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Greenlake's method seems fine, 'tho I like having all my lines leading to a central control area aft of the mast. BTW, it's not the line down the mast that tangles. It's the TL itself, when you bring it forward under sail, and are careless about attaching it in relation to the shrouds or other lines.
talbot

Postby jdoorly » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 am

I have an adjustable non-adjustable topping lift. The top is directly fastened to the mast truck, the bottom reeves through an eye in the boom end fitting and then attaches back to the topping lift line about 2 feet up with a rolling hitch. I set it almost taught when close hauled and then may not touch it again until end of season (I trailer sail). But, if for some reason I want to raise the boom, like for a boom tent, I just push the rolling hitch higher. Back before I used dyneema I had a problem with the line stretch causing a 'bouncy' boom which could not be trusted as a handhold.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:01 am

If I recall you have developed that fancy setup where you can leave your boom attached to the mast. Most other trailer sailors would have to re-reeve such a topping lift each time. Hence the attraction of various snap shackles..

With Dyneema, e.g. in the form of Amsteel, it's super easy to splice an eye into the end of the line so that it can be worked open, but pulls shut under tension. That eye can then go around a diamond knot on some other line - for example a short line fixed to the boom, or a short piece of line fixed to the mast ring. The latter technique is what I use to tie my jib halyard to the mast ring (or to the head). In both places I have a short toggle ending in a diamond knot, and I just move the eye splice from one or the other, like a shackle.

Same thing can be used when tying off a TL, for those who like to keep it out of the way while sailing (or while trailering).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Yes, GL, perhaps I should class my boat as a DS4! My newest project is replacing all wire with dyneema. I did some pre-stretching and everything seems to have found its place now. Interestingly the shrouds sound such a clear musical note that I can tune them with my $9 guitar tuner! But, I still need an $90 Loos to correlate the pitch to pounds :wink:
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Well now, I guess you learn something new every day on this forum! I know I do. So far with The Red Witch, I've only ever used the halyard/outhaul/vang controls, as well as the ballast shifts described above, to optimize sail shape for very light air. My TL is clear-coated 1/16" SS cable, but I sure like the idea of using Dyneema (or Spectra, which I have access to at work) for the type of adjustable TL being discussed here. Hmmm ... one more thing to tinker with!
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:38 pm

I love it, tuning up your rigging with a guitar tuner! Hopefully you won't have to change your strings as often as I do on my guitars.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

PreviousNext

Return to Rigging