Lazy Jacks

Moderator: GreenLake

Lazy Jacks

Postby Clyde » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Has anyone rigged a lazy jack on their Day Sailer and if so, how? I sail alone and am not that young and agile anymore so need all the aids I can.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Postby jdoorly » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Clyde, I rigged a lazy jack system earlier this year. I used the following for design inspiration from Doyle Sails:

My system had some small differences: no full length battens, no forward lazyjack, no integral membrane (whatever that is). But, I made a nice cover out of sunbrella fabric and used two 10 foot long 1/4" diameter fiberglass rods hemmed into the top of each cover side. I used 1/8" line.

The first time I sailed with it the main got caught in it going up. I had to drop the main and clear the jam. As I sailed I kept looking up at the lazyjacks fluttering away and the cover not helping the mains' aerodynamics and I just began to dislike the lazyjack system. When I dropped the main a batten again got caught in the jacks.

The new lazyjack system is certainly not helping me; it's hindering. I went home and took it off and have been glad about it ever since. I think the boat is small and easy to handle and is better off without it. I re-sewed the cover into a standard type.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Re: Lazy Jacks

Postby cwhite » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Does anybody have a parts list and detailed pictures of a functioning lazy jack system for DS?

Thanks and best regards,
Chris
cwhite

Return to Rigging