Boom storage for trailering

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:45 pm

John,

if the bow support gives even a bit, the boat can ride up in front. Typical bow eyes may not hold and you never know what state they are in (I've had one snap during normal retrieval). In that scenario, the boat could slip out from under a stern strap (like the one Tim shows).

I've added a strap in the front half of my trailer that goes around the bow of the DS, forward of the cuddy. I snug the winch but also belay the painter on both the bow post on the trailer and the foredeck cleat.

I have no idea how this would hold up to a 60mph impact, but I feel it would survive a larger range of conditions than the typical front&rear.

Powerboats are often secured to their trailers with two short straps in the back. Their main advantage is that they control the position of the boat on the trailer more positively than a "loop" strap. Under a loop a boat can twist or shift during transport, because not all changes in position would result in stretching the loop. A separated pair of straps works better. (Something that I would look into if I ever contemplated trailering over longer distances).

I opt for a pretty short rear overhang, because I really don't want to have someone spear themselves on the mast. I've had one driver run their windshield right into my parked trailer - despite a nice flag, so I'm convinced people just don't see that, or can't judge its position.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Greenlake,

Your points are well taken. I'm not sure really what would happen in a hard rear end impact. A lot depends on the size of the vehicle. I used to have my mast overhang in the stern more than I have now. Still the small car that hit the boat last September could have easily got under my stern which would have created additional problems. I don't know how tied down a boat has to be to survive a hard rear impact. I just hope I don't have to find out what happens.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Let's say you crash into something in front of you. A typical figure would be 30 g's if you had managed to slow down to 30mph before impacting a solid object and your car got 1ft shorter in the process. (Or hitting a softer target at higher speed).

To keep your boat on the trailer, the fastening would have to hold 15,000 lbs.

1" Nylon webbing is quoted at 3-4,000 pounds, but you'd be using it mainly to prevent the boat from getting past the bow post. So the forces on the straps might be within limits, as long as the straps are tied in a way that the boat can't "escape". Also, Nylon stretches, which should reduce the maximum force. After all, this is not a static load.

The bow post may or may not hold that load, but before it fails, it would absorb some energy by deforming first, which would slow down the boat.

To know for sure, you'd have to do a crash test, but from these considerations, I'd believe it if someone told me that you could successfully secure a DS for that type of collision. Now, as for being rear-ended by a semi at 60mph, that's a different story.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:57 pm

Here's a link to a video showing a 35mph rear end collision (car on car) with an unsecured load in the trailer towed by the car in the rear.

http://youtu.be/r23VoUhKk5I

And here's another pair of videos showing what nearly 1800 lbs of trailer can do to a smaller towing vehicle (also at 35mph).

http://youtu.be/5A9fXXDHfl0
http://youtu.be/XbHPslIcp2E

That's not that much heavier than the typical trailer plus DS.

And here, finally, is one that shows the load (bike) remaining attached to the trailer.

http://youtu.be/qY1kIQ3TON8
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Rigging