Boom storage for trailering

Moderator: GreenLake

Boom storage for trailering

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi all,

Been wondering: how does everyone store/stow their boom for trailering?

Until now, I've been leaving mine just laying in the cockpit, forward end resting on the cuddy lip, aft end resting on the cockpit sole in the stern. I leave the mid-boom mainsheet attachment in place. It works just fine, for my limited, "local" trips, but now with a major road trip in my future, that will include mostly interstate travel (FL 120), I'm thinking a more "secure" arrangement might be in order?

I've been perusing the photo galleries in search of a solution, but no dice ... ?

Bill Holstein: I saw your arrangement briefly at the TransMonroe, and it looks like a great setup, but didn't get a chance to really see how it works close up. Any chance you (or anyone else?) could post pix?

Thanks!

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 pm

I towed my boat from California to Wyoming and back with the boom in the cockpit, kinda-sorta loosely tied down. Been looking for a better solution ever since.

This would apply to those of us with hinged masts, but it suddenly dawned on me the other day that you could secure the boom with the forward end on the winch stand and the aft end supported by the bottom section of the mast.

The mast would be stowed as usual, between the winch stand and a crutch at the transom, well above the boom.
Alan

Postby ChrisB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:15 am

I towed my boat from N.C. to Alabama and back and from N.C. to Florida with the boom in the cockpit just as you describe. Never had any problems. I put one of my throwable cushions under the end of the boom for chafe protection and tighten the mainsheet so it can't go anywhere.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Chris,

Do you have a boom-end mainsheet?
Alan

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 pm

OK, having gone out and actually looked at the boat, I can see how tightening up a mid-boom mainsheet, which is what I have, would be a great way to secure the boom. Wish I'd thought of it, in fact. :)

But. I made a lockable cuddy door that's in place when the boat's being towed, so the boom can't protrude into the cuddy, which it would need to to do in order to have the mainsheet block on the boom align with the mainsheet block on the centerboard trunk.
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Thx for all the replies everyone!

Maybe I'm making a mountian out of a molehill here. Have just never been comfortable leaving the boom laying there in the cockpit, free to bounce around while trailering, even with the mainsheet attached. Can't be good for the boom, cuddy lip, or transom sole?

I have an idea that involves a rubber bow vee thingy with a slot cut in it, which would slide down over the cuddy lip, and hold the boom in place. I'll try to post pics tomorrow ...
TIM WEBB

Postby brucybaby » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:08 pm

I don't know if you saw this or not Tim, but the PO of my boat came up with the crutch end idea. I used a spare bow stop up front with a piece of fiberglass rod to hold it in place between the main and jibs cleats. Holds everything very neat and tidy.. and firm. No bouncing around at all plus quick and easy to setup and release. I love it, no more boom bouncing or riding with the boom in the middle of my Durango.

Here's the post: http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3996

ImageImageImage
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:44 am

Alan,

As you have already figured, my mainsheet is mid-boom. I have no doors on the cuddy so shoving the first two feet of the boom into the cuddy isn't a problem.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jeadstx » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:59 pm

I secure my boom to the mast (just below) over the cockpit area for trailering. I haven't had any problems.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Boom storage

Postby holstein » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Tim,

Here are the pictures I promised.

Please confirm that you can see them.
This is the first time I've upload pictures
holstein

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Hmmmmmm....

OK, now I'm reconsidering, for the umpteenth time, how to store the boom. Maybe it's a good thing I only have about 30 minutes in a typical week to work on the boat. :)

The photo works, by the way. Click on the thumbnail and it shows up in large size.
Alan

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:28 pm

brucybaby,

Credit where it's due: It was your photos that gave me the idea to store the boom running forward from the mast hinge to the winch stand.
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone!

Bruce: yes, I did see your setup, but my issue is that I don't have the cleats on the cuddy roof to secure the bow vee ...

Love the idea of using a crutch as a crutch tho!

John: I'm really trying to avoid securing the boom to the mast, as that's extra weight up high that I'm not too keen on ...

Bill: yes, saw your pix, and that gives me a much better understanding of what I saw at the TM. For now, my aft mast support rides on the gudgeons, and I think I'll remedy that situation ASAP. Love your forward support tho!

For now, I'm doing this at the forward end:

I have this at the stern, and am wondering if I could cut a hole in this aluminum support, stick the aft end of the boom in there, secure the forward end of the boom to the cuddy top somehow, or a support like yours Bill, and tighten it down with the main sheet?

TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:18 am

Dont cut a hole, rivet a stiff webbing strap (or webbing inside something like clear plastic hose) to one side of this support.

It think the slight asymmetry would matter less than weakening the support by putting a giant hole into it. (And the kind of strap I mentioned would provide its own cushioning for the transport).
Last edited by GreenLake on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 pm

Love the loop/strap idea for the aft support, and had considered that, or even a piece of tubing bent into a J shape and bolted on. Guess it wouldn't matter if it was off center a bit. Still need to work out a way to support the forward end of the boom on the cuddy lip tho ...
TIM WEBB

Next

Return to Rigging