quick rigging jib sheets

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 am

GL, in actual practice, the no-sew fingertrap is usually accomplished by pulling the loop, or eye, end through, rather than the tail. Not really sure why we illustrated it that way! :shock:
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Can you believe it - that's the part of the operation where the guy takes his hands and the workpiece outside the range of the camera :roll: :)
But yes, it's clear what he's trying to do.
I do like the the fact that he shows proper procedure - from working at the dining room table to using some advertisement insert as his cutting board. I bet you that's how 99% of real world splices are done. :D :D
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I don't blame him: it can be a b**** to pull that running end through the fingertrap! He prolly had to get it up near his chest where he could really get some oomph into it!

- I hate oomph ... :roll:

OK y'all, I'm prolly signing off for a few days now: a week from 2morrow I'm pointing the rig WNW for the FL 120. Still got a lot of preparations to do, and won't be on the forum much. Wish me luck! 8)
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed May 09, 2012 7:16 am

Tim,

Good luck on the preparations for the Florida 120, don't forget to pack a camera! You know that we would all love pictures. So are you and Chris going to be team DaySailer?

Thinking of photos; you know the rest of us sailing geeks would love it if you would take photos along the way as you're preparing and of course the Florida 120 itself. I know that a lot of people would not really have any idea about what it would take to pull this off gracefully. Not sayin' that you would necessarily be graceful or anything... :-)
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 09, 2012 11:42 am

Tim, I've done enough splices to know all about the "oomph" phase 8)

I mean, the video is nice, but it did remind me of children doing a magic trick, by turning their back on the audience for the "tricky" bit. So those particular production values had their comical side.

Switching topics:

Good luck with your prep and your attempt at the FL120! Let me second K.C's excellent request.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed May 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes, Chris and I have talked about the 120, and I'm looking forward to having a "kindred spirit" there.

Will definitely have a camera along. Dunno 'bout video - don't have a Gopro (yet! ;-P)

I'll shoot as much as I can. Preparations are pretty much done, just packing. As for graceful? Guess I'll just have to let The Red Witch show her stuff! 8)

As far as posting photos/video from the trip, most of that will be done here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/fl120

GL, sometimes sailboats are just magic, and we have to leave them at that ...

Cy'all in two weeks! :D
TIM WEBB

Previous

Return to Rigging