Pin on mast tabernacle

Moderator: GreenLake

Pin on mast tabernacle

Postby Pierce56 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:33 am

Is there any reason to keep the forward pin in the mast tabernacle after stepping the mast? My jib sheet keeps catching this pin and before I add a boot to the base of the mast or rig bungy from the mast to the forward cleat I would think I could live without this forward pin?
Thank you
Tom
Pierce56

Postby jeadstx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:37 pm

I put a boot on the base of my mast to keep the jib sheets from catching. I made the boot from a winch cover I cut the top out of. Works well.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm

I don't put the front pin in my tabernacle. I started leaving it out as a "feature". I made the mast stub adjustable forward and aft on the keelson, thereby tilting the lower part of the tabernacle. I can induce pretend this way, which is the "feature". The bonus was that I no longer had my jib sheet foul the pin! It's been a couple of seasons this way with no problems.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:04 pm

I don't have a tabernacle, but a hinged mast sleeve. That one has a circular base plate high enough to catch the sheet. I fixed that by making a semircle out of 1" aluminum and mounted it so that the lower edge is flush to the deck. That tends to deflect the sheet.

My sheets are ludicrously stiff, smooth and oversized (a "bargain" rope end of precisely the length I needed when the jib sheets needed replacement). Otherwise, they would foul on various cleats on the lower part of the mast and I would be adding some sort of boot as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:58 pm

I have a rubber sleeve that Velcros around the tabernacle. It was made by the previous owner and worked well. However, I haven't needed it in the last couple of years.

I recently added an 8 inch pig tail of a single strand of 1/8 inch amsteel to the clew of my jib. It's spliced through my jib sheet so that the sheet line is straight at the attachment. It seems like this has dramatically cut down on the jib sheets getting fouled on various pieces of hardware, like my reefing hook and some cleats on the mast. It seems to act kind of like a shock absorber so that even when the jib is flapping frantically the sheets don't flap around as much.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

K.C. - I don't have a pigtail, but a few seasons ago I switched to a loop of Amsteel that's attached with a Prusik knot. The free end of the loop has an eye splice and a heavy knot as a toggle, to go through the clew.

That also results in a rather straight section of sheet (especially since mine does not bend easily in a tight radius). Hang-ups on the mast clutter are indeed rare.

The "shock absorber" effect is presumably because the clew needs to travel the whole length of your pigtail (double the length actually) before it's taught and can pull the sheet in the opposite direction. If the motion of the clew is less than 16" you get tugs only in one direction, making the motion of the sheets less violent - neat. Especially so, since Amsteel has no inherent shock absorbing qualities.

My loop is too short for that effect, but my sheets are so stiff/heavy that they dampen the system in their own way. (Not that I recommend such rope for sheets, I'm just too cheap to replace it -- and its' nice to know that I could lift the whole dinghy section of our fleet on that jib sheet 8) )
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Mast boot

Postby kokko » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:10 pm

I use the forward pin and my sheets get caught.
Searching for a solution with available materials I used a tennis ball. I used a razor knife and cut it along the seam. This gave me two saddle-shaped pieces. There may be a proper term Is there a topologist out there?
Anyways I wrapped one of the saddles at the forward base of the tabernacle and secured it with a zip tie. It works.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby Jeepman252 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:40 pm

The previous owner never used the forward pin on my DS and I haven't either, and its worked fine, plus my jib lines have one less thing to get caught on.
Larry
'83 DSII
Jeepman252

Return to Rigging