Stay covers & Stay <-> Spreader connections

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Stay covers & Stay <-> Spreader connections

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:06 am

Jdoorly,
of course, I'm scratching my head - when it itches. :D :D

About Dyneema rigging. The strength and weight aspects are definite advantages, but Dyneema has a serious drawback in that it tends to creep under sustained load (if mainly initially). That makes it awkward for some uses, and for other uses you need to factor in the additional length of line.

I've experimented with Amsteel jib and main halyards (written up here, somewhere) and definitely ran into the issue with that kind of elongation. There's a lot of opinion out there, some are down on Amsteel in particular, compared to other types of rope from the same material.

On my other boat (slightly smaller than a DS) I have a halyard based on FSE Robline, which is a rope that's less slippery - I think it's a blend, you can look it up. It may even have cover and core, unlike Amsteel which is 12-strand hollow braid. I'm able to use a ridiculously thin halyard which saves on windage. When the current set of halyards expire on my DS, I might well change to that type of rope, but I'm not sure yet what diameter I'll need for the DS. It should be roughly similar to the wire halyards that were/are used on some DS.

For standing rigging I continue to believe that wire represents the best compromise for our application in terms of durability, no creep, etc, But I'm always curious to find out what real-life experiences people are making.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Sidestay covers? Protectors?

Postby Breakin Wind » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:14 pm

jdoorly wrote:WARNING! Will Robinson, WARNING!

Been digging into this spreader stuff and find in all references that the spreader tip should be hard fastened to the shroud, that is No wire movement in the slot! Skenes (Kinney) actually warns of potential dismasting.

So just putting this topic to bed (getting ready to reattach my spreaders) the rule of the road is a very firm attachment to the stay in the spreader slot to the point where the upper stay is taught and then wrap the heck out of the SS wire, tape it, and then put the spreader boots on.
The end desire being that the stay is not able to slide at all in the spreader slot.

Anyone disagree?? - Thanks - Scott
Breakin Wind

Postby jdoorly » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:25 am

Scott, I'm not sure it is as straight forward as that. Given 15 feet of wire exactly where does the spreader tip go?

I think I'll keep the sliding system that has worked for 3 years at least until I can figure out how to know where to fix them!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby Breakin Wind » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 am

I've been looking around the internet, and I don't see any stainless steel wire products offered directly as Spreader/Stay bindings (or any other name guesses for a similar product). What size SS wire is needed for the spreader/shroud binding?

Thanks - Scott
Breakin Wind

Postby Alan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 am

Scott,

Dwyer mast has the stainless wire pieces, here:

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... =Fasteners

If you go to their website, rather than click on the link, they're the last item on the fasteners page, which is included in the sailboat hardware and accessories category.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:08 pm

I just picked up stainless steel wire from a local h/w store - admittedly they carry many useful items that seem geared to boaters - probably because of where they are located, so your milieage might vary elsewhere.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Breakin Wind » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Alan wrote:Scott,

Dwyer mast has the stainless wire pieces, here:

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... =Fasteners

If you go to their website, rather than click on the link, they're the last item on the fasteners page, which is included in the sailboat hardware and accessories category.

Thanks Alan

I'll need to find something else to buy (I hate looking for ways just to spend money) to justify the $13.00 shipping for a $1.60 in parts. :D Thanks for the link though... Maybe I'll check locally, however with gas prices considered I think I'll call around first, otherwise the shipping might be worth it.... :shock:

Thanks again - Scott
Breakin Wind

Postby Breakin Wind » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:12 pm

GreenLake wrote:I just picked up stainless steel wire from a local h/w store - admittedly they carry many useful items that seem geared to boaters - probably because of where they are located, so your milieage might vary elsewhere.

Thanks GL,

You don't by any chance know what gauge or thickness it is do you?

Thanks again, Scott
Breakin Wind

Postby jdoorly » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:10 am

I bought a spool of SS wire at True Value for under $10, there's only one size I'd say about 20 awg but it's plenty strong yet malluable and there's 101 uses for it elsewhere. For instance you can build a stitch and glue boat!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 am

What jdoorly writes. I would have said something that's a bit thinner than paper clip wire, so it's a bit easier to bend, but still strong enough to hold a shape. By winding it tightly around the stay for serveral turns above and below the spreader, it's possible to "lock" the spreader in position. I think I prefer when it's just tight enough that it takes substantial persuasion to move along the stay, but can still be adjusted by a determined pull with a boat hook (or shove with a paddle), because the spreaders tend to get out of position when on the trailer. (Never seen an adjustable one move by itself while sailing).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Rigging