Jib down haul

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Jib down haul

Postby ldeikis » Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 pm

I know this one is from the history books, but thought I'd add for anyone reading in the future:

I put a very, very simple downhaul on our jib by using a length of 25' 1/8" parachute cord with a bowline at one end... Clipped the bowline in with the clip where the head of the sail connects to the halyard, then just ran it inside each hank as we bent the sail on, then right through the clip where the sail connects to the forestay--no block. I tied the loose end off to the center of the halyard cleat on the deck--the parachute cord is so fine it doesnt affect the halyard cleating, and that way it cant get away.

Our first sail was "eventful" to put it lightly, and being able to pull the jib down from the cockpit was really helpful. That system isn't as elegant as some, but it worked decently, and with a little trimming on the jib sheets the sail was secure to the deck without blowing into the water. We successfully launched and doused it several times that way. At the end of the day, the line stays clipped inside the hanks when the sail is put away, so there's zero additional rigging. It's about the only thing that went well this weekend! :lol:

Hardly an argument not to do it in my opinion.

Luke
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Postby jeadstx » Sun May 17, 2015 3:15 pm

That's the system I use. Has worked great for many years even in high winds. Everything routed to the cockpit.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 17, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm sure that when the time finally comes that I'll need to be able to pull down the jib, I'll miss a setup like that. Problem is that in so many years of sailing it's not been something I needed. (Well, other than, perhaps, when docked temporarily, for a lunch, for example, when fully taking off the jib would have been overkill. But then I just make a packet of the sail and wrap it.)

In may case, then, the cost of rigging far outweighs any expected benefit. Now, what to do, if the ratio wasn't quite as lopsided? The hassle of rigging even one extra line every time is high enough, that I'd want to avoid it, especially for short outings.

Here's a modification that I can think of. Start at the top of the jib, and continue down to the stemhead just as Luke describes. However, instead of clipping to the halyard, tie the downhaul permanently to the head grommet. At the tack of the sail route it through any handy eye or grommet, as long as it's not permanently attached to the stemhead, but comes off with the sail. Then, from the tack, lead the line along the foot of the sail to the clew. Now we should have a line that runs the two sides of the jib. It's out of the way when not in use, and doesn't require any attention when rigging (other than keeping it inside the hanks).

When it comes time to lower the sail, the idea would be to let go of the halyard, give a tug on the jib sheet, and use a boat hook to snag the line at the clew and pull it in, pulling down the jib. Would that sound workable? Perhaps not ideal for single handing, but should be workable for a crew?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Rigging