Jib halyard tensioner

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib halyard tensioner

Postby Salty Dog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:27 pm

For those that have a jib halyard tensioner. How much travel in inches is there from as loose as you would want it to as tight as you would need it. I am going to rig one on my DSII,and I do not have access to my boat at present but am going to work on components. Only need aproximate.

thanks SD
Salty Dog

Re: Jib halyard tensioner

Postby swiftsail » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:51 pm

About 6 inches will do. Give you self 8 to 12 to make sure.

Steve
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby Salty Dog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Ive got 12 and I thought 3 or 4 would be enough so I thought I would shorten it. I'm glad I asked. I'll leave it like it is. Thanks Swiftsail
Salty Dog

Postby swiftsail » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:53 pm

It also depends on how you are tensioning. Bow string style or direct pull. I use bow string style.

Steve
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby GreenLake » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 am

A search on "bowstring style halyard tensioner" does not give any useful results. Could you explain your setup. It could well be that the lengths for the different styles are in no relation to each other, and if Salty has a different setup your dimensions may not mean anything.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby swiftsail » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:28 am

Bow string style, is where the halyard exits the mast, runs through a block and then is tied to a cleat. Then you tension the halyard by pulling up on the block, like pulling on a bow string. This make dropping the jib easy, by not having to disconnect the tensioner, just take the pressure off and then uncleat it.

Steve
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby Salty Dog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 am

What I was wanting to know was if you made a mark on the halyard and the mast at loose position, and then brought it to tight position. What would be the distance in inches between thw mark on the halyard and the mark on the mast in the new position. I had 12" and I thought that was more than enough, and considered shorting it but I may leave it where it is after hearing swiftsails reply.
Salty Dog

Postby ChrisB » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:49 am

@ SaltyDog,

12" is more than enough. I have a picture of my 3:1 tensioner in my personal galleries. It is about 12" from block to block and I use about half that distance when tensioning the jib.

Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby Salty Dog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks ChrisB

I rigged my boat up and looked at it and pulled on the Jib halyard and did not get much movement. I think I will be able to shorten the track a little.
Attachments
DSII.jpg
DSII.jpg (253.41 KiB) Viewed 10348 times
Salty Dog

Postby Salty Dog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 pm

yikes I did something wrong!! Its huge. That thing gotta be a 40 footer.
Salty Dog

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:46 am

Wouldn't the amount of movement on the tensioner depend on the stretchiness of the halyard?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 am

Another question for those who have that item installed. Is there a noticeable effect? And if yes, what are the principles you follow in adjusting the tension?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am

@ Greenlake,

A "stretchy" halyard would definitely work to your disadvantage. I replaced my halyards a few years ago with 3/8" low stretch braided line (don't remember the brand). The 3/8 was for my more for my grip than anything else. I don't notice significant stretch in the jib halyard.

My reason for installing the tensioner was that I could never tighten the jib enough by hand to remove the "scallops" between the jib hanks when sailing upwind. The wind velocity is my guide for adjusting the tensioner. In lighter air, I tension the halyard just enough to slacken the forestay with the jib unloaded. When the jib is loaded, the forestay and the jib are both tight and the jib has a nice flat luff edge. As the wind speed increases, I increase the tension in the jib halyard to slack the forestay a little more (about 6-8 inches). Off the wind, I ease the tension so the forestay and jib share the load.

@ SaltyDog,

Must be nice to have a barn big enough to rig the boat inside so you can work on it! :D
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby Salty Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:11 am

I was going to sail my boat as it is for a while and get used to how it handles. Then I will be able to tell what the additions do for me. It is my understanding from reading this site that to tighten the jib halyard will help with pointing and loosening it will help with running off the wind, and being able to do it from the cock pitis a plus. The barber in haulers will help with pointing as well. The down haul on the jib will secure the jib to the deck without going forward. I also plan to add some of those noodles to the floatation. I thought that sounded like a good idea. This is all I am going to do at present. I figure that it is the cheapest to do for now besides changing sails and foils. I am also under the impresion that the DSI is a better or faster boat than a DSII. As I am the owner of a DSII and I have desided to race in the Wurstfest Regatta. I am going to practice and and add these few adjustments to help me not to come in too far back. Mostly though I just plan on haveing a lot of fun.

I am also going to replace the halyards. Mine are a little weather beaten and I thought that would be a good addition.

ChrisB Yes It is great to have a Brother-in-law with a big building he isn't using. :D Down side is it is 5 1/2 hrs from the lake. :( Oh well you can't have everything. :D
Salty Dog

Postby jeadstx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:09 am

Salty Dog, don't worry about being towards the back of the pack at the Wurstfest Regatta, I'll be back there. The DS1's are faster I think. I need to get a new set of sails before then.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Next

Return to Rigging