Converting roller furling main

Moderator: GreenLake

Converting roller furling main

Postby Tipster1 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:27 pm

I am considering purchase of a DS II with original roller furling main system including the "claw". As I am more familiar with jiffy reefing and assume that roller furling is incompatible with a boom vang so I think first upgrade would be jiffy reefing and a real boom vang. I assume this would require some pad eyes and cleats on them boom as will as a metal strap for the vang and a hook for the reefing cringle. Also necessary would be some sail modifications for reefing points and an attachment for the vang on the mast. Would there be any problem attaching necessary hardware to current boom and mast? Would you use pop rivets? Can anyone recommend a source familiar with this particular situation for necessary parts? What am I missing?

I realize that this has been covered in various pieces through out this forum but the reuse of the original boom has not been specifically addressed as far as I can determine.

Thanks for your help.
Tipster1

Re: Converting roller furling main

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 06, 2013 12:58 am

There are many fine sources for boat hardware on the internet. Try searching for "boom bail", for example. D&R Marine is a great source of knowledge about the DS and they have original hardware, but the original vang is not very strong - so if you are one of the crowd that likes super-strong vangs, you may have to roll your own.

I've only contemplated doing a boom vang to date. I have some peculiarities in my setup that make standard solutions not possible. But I'm sure, people with actual experience will stop by in due time. (As you note, most of the info is already on the site, a bit of digging will unearth plenty).

Reef hook I would get from D&R marine. I ended up doing single line reefing w/o a hook but am doubting the wisdom of that decision, a hook seems easier to operate.

Reef points in the sail are a sailmaker item - they are bout $100 tops a set.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Mon May 06, 2013 2:16 pm

I added jiffy reefing system to my boat, I actually have two sets of hardware for each set of reef points on the sail. I color coded the line to keep from getting confused as to which set of lines went to which set of reef points. I also do not have a reef hook, but have not had a problem without one. I riveted the reef line hardware to my boom. The hardware I used were two cheek blocks and 1 eye loop on the boom for each reef setups. I also used a deck block on the cuddy cabin roof going to a cleat for each set set of reef points. My locale sailmaker put the reef points in my mainsail for around $100 per set.

I am also still using the original boom vang.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Tipster1 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

Thank you both - just getting boat in water and getting to know her. Looks like researching CB issues may be first priority. I can deal with almost anything on the water except jammed CB and had that experience with previous boat (AMF Sunbird).
Tipster1

Return to Rigging