Twizzle Rig or Bow Sprit Modifications

Moderator: GreenLake

Twizzle Rig or Bow Sprit Modifications

Postby sailininov » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:09 am

Hello all, Im new to this forum but have had my DS2 for few years now. Ive always been in awe with the self tending "twizzle rig" that ocean cruisers use and really want to experiment with it on a smaller boat like my DS. The rig is a straight downwind rig which uses two jibs on a single forestay. Has anyone here ever thought of doing something so ridiculous to a day sailor?
sailininov

Re: Twizzle Rig or Bow Sprit Modifications

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:03 am

Welcome aboard!

The twizzle rig is something I had to Google, as I was unfamiliar with it. It seems like a very practical rig for long-distance sailing in the Tradewinds, but I wonder how practical it might be for day sailing. In my questioning mind, I'm thinking that any sailing that I would do, would be short enough legs that I would not bother to set a sail like this.

The reality for me is that I don't even bother to set a single whisker pole when going downwind. As I prefer to sail longer and faster on a reach, rather than running dead downwind, the amount of time that I spend needing a poll is not worth it for me.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I haven't gone outside of the class sail plan. I've use a 120 ft.² reacher/gennaker that definitely amps up downwind sailing. I have used it several times more like the twizzle rig, where I dropped the mainsail to go downwind through a narrow channel to a dock. It did work well with the roller furling to be able to sail right in and then roll up the sail quickly just before the dock.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby sailininov » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 am

thanks for the input, The twizzle rig is something I just always wanted to play with and I cant afford to do it to my Cal 31.... Mostly Im so curious to see what the DS would look like with a sprit. :D I frequent long trips on bigger boats and I use my D.S. for horseplay.
sailininov

Postby sailininov » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:35 am

BTW where would I find a 120sq. ft. genny? That sounds intense
sailininov

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:05 am

The gennaker I had made by Doyle and is what they call a utility power sail or UPS. I did put mine on a bowsprit. For horseplay, it's definitely a fun sail. In light air it works great for upwind, in moderate air it works great as a reaching sail. For downwind, it's like using a large Genoa sail, though it is three-quarter ounce spinnaker cloth. I've been tempted to get a poll for deep broad reach sailing with it winged out.

There's a lengthy thread on the forum about the UPS sail. This particular page in that thread has some pictures of my set up. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3571&start=75 and some more pictures of it in use viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3571&start=165 .
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby sailininov » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Awesome awesome! Thanks for the link, Ive got a lot of ideas now. Ive got a very similar sail that Ive since been calling a spinnaker
sailininov

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Have you been using that sail with your Cal 31 or with your DaySailer?
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby sailininov » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 pm

The spinnaker came with the d.s.... The spinaker for the cal probably wouldnt even fit in the d.s. cabin trunk
sailininov

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 am

KC, let me just chime in here regarding a whisker pole and the UPS. I have a telescoping Whisker pole that was a hand me down. I've used it several times running downwind with the UPS and it has been a great addition. When single handed, I lock the tiller with both the UPS and main on the same tack. Once the pole is set, I gybe the mainsail. The UPS sheet can be eased forward of 90 degrees and the UPS can be flown like a spinnaker on a "semi-broad" reach. It makes a big difference in boat speed.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed May 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the info on the telescoping whisker pole and the technique for the set and gybe. I was thinking that telescoping might be the best way to go.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Rigging