Ronstan Shroud Adjusters

Moderator: GreenLake

Ronstan Shroud Adjusters

Postby Interim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:40 pm

I have what I think are Ronstan 17 Hole Shroud Adjusters. I can't find any description of how to work them.

It *looks like* I can attach the chain plate at one end and the shroud at the other, and then get final tightening by levering the channel closed and putting the pin in place. But without the channel pin in place, the two ends don't get any further apart as I rotate the lever open or closed. (Sorry for my feeble description).

My question is, does this piece really act as a lever that gives some mechanical advantage in tightening the shroud, or is the value in this equipment simply that it is adjustable, and tension is applied by pulling on the line?

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Re: Ronstan Shroud Adjusters

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm not sure about these either--but I don't know if I'm looking at the same thing that you are describing. I looked up a picture on West Marine (RF2331) which is the 17 hole adjuster. Based on that, my first impression was that this was an adjuster that changed the length of the stay using incremental adjustments through which a pin is inserted rather than screwing a turn buckle. Each hole has a number making matching up each side a snap--whereas turnbuckles are less precise and more prone to "adjusting themselves". Sounds like a good idea, but the picture shows three pins--one at the bottom for the chain plate, one at the top (that's the one I'm not sure about) and one in the middle that does the adjusting. The only thing I can come up with is that the pin at the top merely keeps the stay angled in a straight line thus locking it in the channel of the adjuster's body--then the center pin takes care of the actual adjustment. The other two listed (RF444 and RF2330) look pretty straight forward because they only have two pins, but far fewer adjustment holes. From what I can see in the photos, there are no levers on any of them.

If you have a picture it might help.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Interim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Sean--

You were looking at the right one. I may be hoping for more than what it is designed to do, but it does seem like an opportunity for invention. Wouldn't a locking leverl be nice to tighten the final inch or two?

Thanks for the reply.

--jf
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:06 pm

OK--I just read the description of the adjuster. Guess I should have done that to begin with. The top pin keeps the swaged end of the stay from slipping out of the channel while you are fastening the center pin. But I still don't see how this could be a lever.

I don't know if any of this helps.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Yes--a locking lever would be nice. I know D&R sells one for the forestay
http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS803
I bet someone sells them for the shrouds, too.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 pm

These locking levers are sometimes also called Highfield levers. They work well when you need to shorten the stay by a fixed amount to get to the proper tension.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging