setting mast on DSII

Moderator: GreenLake

setting mast on DSII

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 30, 2001 6:04 pm

I just purchased a 1976 DS II and took it out for the first time this past weekend. I was quite surprised when my wife and I attempted to setup the mast (I guess you call it step). Folks around came running to help, but I wouldn't give up until I got it in.

There has to be an easier way our something I can do to change the way it fits through the cuddy. I have seen the word tabernacle used in some articles. Can anyone give me some advise, pictures etc.

Thank you,

Jack

Jack (jacmar007-at-prodigy.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 30, 2001 10:03 pm

Never mind, I should have read all the forum questions before I asked. Seems alot had the same problem and many have answered with good solutions.

Thanks - Jack

jack (jacmar007-at-prodigy.net)

Postby Guest » Tue May 01, 2001 3:26 pm

Jack, a tabernacle will be a hinge located just above the cuddy top. The usual way to add one to a DS II is to cut the mast off about 1" above the cuddy top, then splice in the hinge assembly. This will make raising/lowering your mast VERY easy, since you only need to release the forestay and the forward pin on the hinge and pivot the mast down. Raising the mast will involve sliding the mast aft on the aft support or crutch (you will need to build this if you do not have one) until the hinge plate line up, then with the shrouds attached (no real need to release them to trailer) simply pivot the mast up, attach the forestay, insert the forward pin in the hinge, and you are set!
I keep my boat on a mooring all Summer, so I step my mast next to a tall dock and just have my Dad walk the mast up to almost vertical on the dock and hand the butt (bottom end) down to me. I then guide it through the cuddy top and then can guide it down and onto the step. I then attach the shrouds and forestay to their chainplates. With a tabernacle hinge, I could do the job alone, but still have not decided to modify the mast yet.
Hope this helps!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Rigging